Delayed 4th of July dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th. I know it tradition to cookout on the 4th but I was busy all day. We had to load a trailer of watermelons so they could get up to Atlanta then I spent the rest of the day baling hay. We decided to do a Sunday dinner for the children and grandchildren and cook only what we raised or grew in the garden. I went to the garden Sunday morning about first light and cut the okra and squash. Then I picked some ripe tomatos and a few green one also. I dug some new red potatoes and broke off a several ears of sweet corn. Then I picked a mess of purple hull peas. Went to the house and shell the peas and got everything cooking. We had fried pork chops from a hog I killed awhile back, stewed squash with onions and bacon in there, peas with onion and some bacon and a couple of pods of okra in there. We had some mashed potatoes and steamed corn on the cob. We also fried up some okra, squash and green tomatos. I sliced up a couple of red ripe tomatos and a bell pepper. I made cornbread out of some cornmeal my neighbor ground for me out of some white corn I made last year. Add a gallon of sweet tea and we had a country feast.

You, sir, are a true American!
34.gif

Good work! That is quite a meal from your own land. We do the same in August when most of our veggies are ready. Do you smoke your bacon? We are thinking about getting a smoker before we butcher our pigs this fall.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Good work! That is quite a meal from your own land. We do the same in August when most of our veggies are ready. Do you smoke your bacon? We are thinking about getting a smoker before we butcher our pigs this fall.

Yes I cure and smoke my own bacon. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain
smoker with lots of apple wood.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Dude - that sounds really tasty. I always wanted raise a pig or three, but the family would give them names and train them to do jumps and stuff.

Yeah, the same thing happened with our cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back