"Healthier" "cream based" chowder recipe

I love New England clam chowder, I love to pour it on white rice as a sauce and eat it like chicken a la king. However just like chicken a la king I am a bit scared of the amount of heavy cream and butter, and roux used to make this. So I am wondering, is it possible to substitute some of the heavy cream and butter with say, soy milk (if I can find an no sugar plain one that's creamy), mash potato instead of roux, less butter (say cut it in half), and still get similar result?

Oh, I do have half a can of spam in the fridge and no bacon (I'm not a regular bacon eater), I am tempted to fry a thin stripe of spam to see if it would taste "like" bacon....

I love New England clam chowder, I love to pour it on white rice as a sauce and eat it like chicken a la king. However just like chicken a la king I am a bit scared of the amount of heavy cream and butter, and roux used to make this. So I am wondering, is it possible to substitute some of the heavy cream and butter with say, soy milk (if I can find an no sugar plain one that's creamy), mash potato instead of roux, less butter (say cut it in half), and still get similar result?

Oh, I do have half a can of spam in the fridge and no bacon (I'm not a regular bacon eater), I am tempted to fry a thin stripe of spam to see if it would taste "like" bacon....
No, just no! Stick with a recipe you like. No soy milk or Spam allowed!

We will all die at some point. Just as well go out well fed. :p

I've had three heart attacks and bypass surgery. I have very high cholesterol that I keep under control with three medicines. I don't care, there are jsut some recipes that I won't change including New England clam chowder.

My perspective - you could try, you could fail. It may not be that much healthier… but you could try.

I’d try something like the “full fat” oatly milk first. Thing is, most of those plant mills have all kinds of oils and gums mixed in. Who knows if they’re really better?

I’d also try something like whole or 2% milk, and accept that it will be a bit thinner.

You can use coconut milk or cream which is lower fat than heavy cream. Corn starch also works to thicken soups without the fat. Pureeing certain vegetables or potatoes can easily thicken soups without adding additional fat.

My perspective - you could try, you could fail. It may not be that much healthier… but you could try.

I’d try something like the “full fat” oatly milk first. Thing is, most of those plant mills have all kinds of oils and gums mixed in. Who knows if they’re really better?

I’d also try something like whole or 2% milk, and accept that it will be a bit thinner.
Oat milk is now being linked to kidney stones.

Are you eating this every day 1 or 2 times a month twice a year I think it matters to know and your diet in general.

Reactions: hrv
Oat milk is now being linked to kidney stones.
Well that’s lovely. Hadn’t heard that. I just know they have a “thicker” variant.

Have a link?

I found this a good read:

Those options would be sacrilegious.
Of course, but OP is free to try all the same.

Eating less of the real thing is probably the best bet, or if look for a clear broth version which I’ve had in NYC/NE, but not sure how it would work as a sauce. Maybe clear broth thickened with corn starch and just a touch of cream?

And just for the record, fat doesn't make you fat. And while we're on the subject, cheese is good for you too.
Latest research, posted on Google News.

And just for the record, fat doesn't make you fat. And while we're on the subject, cheese is good for you too.
Latest research, posted on Google News.
But cream and butter on simple carbs with no redeeming value, like white rice, isn’t very good.

Try mixing Nestle Quik in a glass of soy milk (or almond milk) and you'll have your answer. 🤮

Back