"Healthier" "cream based" chowder recipe

So to answer some of the questions here:

1) I'm fairly healthy. All readings from blood test within limit: blood pressure, triglyceride, cholesterol, etc. Maybe some minor vit D deficiency but that's not really related to my diet.

2) I mainly eat it because of the taste, can't really finish a huge bowl myself usually, so for example, I'll get the Safeway Deli's soup in a plastic container (12oz?) then just pour like 3 table spoon on rice to microwave together. Not really a lot to worry about.

3) Want to see if I can incorporate some of my stuff that I usually eat already as an academic study to see how it taste, not really having any dairy or butter problem. I just don't want to go all out and buy everything then only eat a little bit, then leave the rest to spoil.

4) I don't like oat milk, but I love soy milk for the taste. I also have half a can of spam left so I might use thinly sliced spam to crisp up the soup and grease it up a bit.

5) Using different ingredients is a way to help me understand how each ingredient changes the taste of the resulting food. Sure I can follow the recipe to the dot just try to see some what ifs. My suspicion is without enough cream and butter the "chowder" may just taste like diluted mash potatoes with spam and clam inside. It may not taste bad but it won't be the same for sure.

6) Have been probably eating this twice a year or so, but if it works I may cook it once a week (12 oz for 5 days to mix with rice).

I've had three heart attacks and bypass surgery. I have very high cholesterol that I keep under control with three medicines. I don't care, there are jsut some recipes that I won't change including New England clam chowder.
Follow this man's lead.

Well that’s lovely. Hadn’t heard that. I just know they have a “thicker” variant.

Have a link?

I found this a good read:

Oat, macadamia, rice and soy milk compare favorably in terms of kidney stone risk factors with dairy milk, whereas almond and cashew milk have more potential stone risk factors.

Ok sounds like the worst for you is cashew and almond milk regarding kidney stones.

I have found out that almond milk or silk works right between cream and whole milk but I've only tried that in pasta sauces, not soup. I think soy milk has to much of it's own taste to substitute cream as the main ingredient.

Switch to Manhattan clam chowder. It tastes better and is far healthier.
I made a batch two weeks ago. Have a quart left in the freezer.

I did it, a few times, with a bit of a substitute. Good enough for me and I found what I wanted.

First time around I tried using 1 onion, 4 small Russet potatoes, 1 bottle of clam juice, 1 tbsp of ground black pepper in a can, 4 tbsp of butter for a roux, 8oz of half and half. Too much onion and black pepper, umami is good, way too spicy.

2nd time, 1/2 an onion, 1 large Russet potato, 1 bottle of clam juice, 1 dash of ground black pepper in a can (probably about 1/2 teaspoon, no butter roux, 8oz of half and half, about 4 tbsp of AP flour to thicken. This is actually the taste I was looking for. I am sure some of you would want more butter and cream but to me this is good enough. Maybe on a special day in the winter with bread bowl I would make one with more butter, but pour over rice this is just right to me. I think what I am really looking for is a small amount of butter, cream, and pepper, and a moderate amount of onion, clam juice, and potatoes. Not sure if I really care about the clams but maybe someday I will put clams in there. Maybe bacon will help too.

If there is something you really enjoy, enjoy it as is in moderation. Interesting how the "healthy option", "low fat", low sodium " or low calorie" versions of most anything usually taste like crap. Life is too short.

depending on your beliefs many savy nutritionists note insulin resistance is the hidden issue with most diseases!! vitamin D-3 levels in the 60-70 range is best + most mainstream medical advice is all about the $$$$$$

Back