definition of short trip for a motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good reply gman, as we know, short trips, cold weather = equals the classification of "Severe Driving Conditions" and has for decades now for ALL vehicles not just motorcycles, including our current automobiles, one a Mazda with state of the art Skyactive engine, the other Dodge Durango with v8 engine.

With more modern engines its most likely not as critical as it used to be when carburetors were on vehicles, new vehicles much cleaner burning, less garbage in the oil, but still mosture, if you want to do what is best, which most in here want to do since we are in a forum focusing on the subject, follow the manual.

When you think about it in the Synthetic vs./ conventional debate, people will argue over the subject, yet the manufacturer doesnt care if its synthetic or conventional but the people arguing will ignore the "severe use" part of the manual and not change the oil.
21.gif

Last edited:
I have recently performed a uoa on my ninja 250r
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...Mot#Post4632660
5500kms most of them 3 mile trips to work and back and a full winter included. As the bike features a glass oil level gauge I could see the white creamy condensation present for over 5 months. The oil use interval was 15 months.tbn was almost intact and wear level was average. This vehicle is being used from new in this way and always changed oil every 6000kms. Manufacturer oci is 12000kms. Blackstone concluded I can extend the oci.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Good reply gman, as we know, short trips, cold weather = equals the classification of "Severe Driving Conditions" and has for decades now for ALL vehicles not just motorcycles, including our current automobiles, one a Mazda with state of the art Skyactive engine, the other Dodge Durango with v8 engine.

With more modern engines its most likely not as critical as it used to be when carburetors were on vehicles, new vehicles much cleaner burning, less garbage in the oil, but still mosture, if you want to do what is best, which most in here want to do since we are in a forum focusing on the subject, follow the manual.

When you think about it in the Synthetic vs./ conventional debate, people will argue over the subject, yet the manufacturer doesnt care if its synthetic or conventional but the people arguing will ignore the "severe use" part of the manual and not change the oil.
21.gif
I would bet the recommendation of early oil changes was directly aimed at Police depts that use their bikes year round. As a whole , the % numbers of civilian Harley owners that ride for real throughout the winter is so low, the dealers never see the carnage Harley predicts will happen.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back