Dealership Detailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember seeing this but in order to be a satisfied customer you should demand that they cover the cost of your friend doing the correction.

When I see a somewhat late model car without dents but a failed paint job I think "dealer detailing."

A ten twelve year old car with a good body comes on the lot. They hit it with a bunch of abrasives and it temporarily sparkles like a diamond....

The majority of dealerships now have an agreement with a nearby car wash. It's usually quicker but the car wash itself is punishment on body coats.

Originally Posted by grampi
I would not let ANY dealership touch the paint on any of my vehicles...

Agreed! My 23 year old Club Sport looked absolutely terrible after my dealer detailed it:

[Linked Image]

I'm taking it to my friend who is going to do it. I'd rather get it right the first time and then just maintain it the rest of the car's life.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Really depends on the dealer. Some have really good detailers, some only have general car washers.

Yea it really depends on the dealer. When I was at BMW, our detail guys were pretty good and they were car/bike guys as well. Not professional good but better than most OCD car wash people and we always had good products to use.

Originally Posted by buster
My car had swirl marks put into the paint. Most do. When I contacted the dealer, they said they would fix it free of charge. The guy claims they have a good detailer. I'm skeptical. I'm debating on whether to just take it to my friend who is very good and skip the dealership. They could potentially make it worse. Thoughts?

When I bought our VW, the dealer WRECKED the paint. It looked like they went over it with a shop floor broom... multiple times. Went to look over it before signing the papers and it was quite noticeable. Bright red paint in the sun. Of course the sales guy is like oh what I barely see anything.... I wish I walked away from it at that point but the deal on the car was crazy (it was in the middle of VWs diesel issues). So I signed the papers with their promise to fix the paint.

Of course I never took it back to them. I had the paint corrected and ceramic coating added by a trusted local detailer.

^smart. I'm not taking it back to the dealer. The guy called me Monday and I could tell he wanted nothing to do with so if I had taken it, there would have been a good chance they would have done a poor job or made it worse.

I get it, not everyone cares about faint swirl marks in a $25k CUV. I'm one that does. I don't like spending a lot of money on cars, but I always maintain them very well because it helps when you trade them in or sell them privately.

Originally Posted by buster
^smart. I'm not taking it back to the dealer. The guy called me Monday and I could tell he wanted nothing to do with so if I had taken it, there would have been a good chance they would have done a poor job or made it worse.

I get it, not everyone cares about faint swirl marks in a $25k CUV. I'm one that does. I don't like spending a lot of money on cars, but I always maintain them very well because it helps when you trade them in or sell them privately.

Can you provide pictures? I can not for the life of me see how anyone or anything can bungle up one car wash on a new vehicle, enough to have to do a "paint correction" and already remove clearcoat and thin out surface of brand new paint. When I'm sure if you washed and went behind it with a spray wax, it would be fine.

It is like all these so called quick lube screw ups that seem to happen, yet I have probably used them 30-40 times and never, ever had a issue. Especially since I'm literally right there shooting the breeze with the people observing everything they are doing, and make sure all is kosher. I'm not sure what lube places you guys go to, but ones I go to show me oil before change and after change and so on, but come on here and it seems like every dealership or quick lube place has been sent by the devil to do everything in their power to ruin your car.

It's so easy to mess up the paint. All it takes is one dirty rag to do it. My friend fixed it today. He said it was pretty bad.

I can't believe that in 2020 the manufacturers/paint suppliers can't come up with something more durable than the clearcoat used on vehicles these days. I'm anal about my vehicles, and as careful as I am they get swirl marks just by looking at them. From what I can tell, 99.99% of motorists don't care or don't notice how awful their paint looks, and it seems the manufacturers don't care either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Uregina09
I can't believe that in 2020 the manufacturers/paint suppliers can't come up with something more durable than the clearcoat used on vehicles these days. I'm anal about my vehicles, and as careful as I am they get swirl marks just by looking at them. From what I can tell, 99.99% of motorists don't care or don't notice how awful their paint looks, and it seems the manufacturers don't care either.

You would think. I think the reason is, most don't care. Most people think I'm OCD just because I can see swirl marks in the paint in the sun. I'm not OCD lol. Cars can come in very dirty from being delivered across the country. The dealers are going to hire low wage guys to just clean them up and sell them.

*Those pictures are the day after the detail job. It rained overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back