Traded in the Sonata for a Malibu. Dealership issue.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Took the Sonata in for a recently developed slight ping (on regular) and a startup rattle coming from the rear. They take it in without hitch. Two days later they call me in and say it's done. I reach the dealership and see they parked my car 2ft adjacent to a wall (passenger side). I jump in and move it out to a regular parking spot to give it a look-see. Low and behold, there's a 5 inch scratch down to the metal causing valley dent. I calmly walk over and show the Tech. With a straight face he asks, "how'd you do that in our parking lot?" He then puts his palm up and mentions to the guys who retrieve the cars to get another guy to see "what other cars I damaged."

Needless to say, I was LIVID. Nt to mention the audacity that he was more upset than me. The dealership completely refused to entertain anything other than it was the customer's fault.

I didn't buy the car there but heard this dealership was quicker. I learned my lesson. On my way home it still pinged. That was the straw... I called our family attorney who mentioned how much and how drawn out the litigation could be. I gave up after a week and the dealership sent me a $750 check plus a release of fault letter i had to sign. Our local Chevy dealership gave me a truly great deal and now I'm back in the General's graces...after 30 years.
20240315_152855.jpg

20240315_152903.jpg

20240315_152944.jpg

Last edited:
So the Malibu was scratched & not the Sonata right? Just trying to understand the situation. I've scratched my rides working on the sides & my coat zipper strips a good chunk of paint off but I don't own anything new so that helps. This Malibu is much, much better than the older ones. Remember the Malibu "Classic" style was not a fun car to look at mind you I've never owned one either though.

How does the specs compare to that 27 year old car?

SPECIFICATIONS

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price $ 18,190
Price As Tested $ 19,126
Engine Type 3.1 Liter V6 w/SMFI*
Engine Size 191 cid/3136 cc
Horsepower 155 @ 5200 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 185 @ 4000 RPM
Wheelbase/Width/Length 107"/69.4"/190.4"
Transmission Four-speed automatic
Curb Weight 3142 Pounds
Fuel Capacity 15 gallons
Tires (F/R) P215/60R15
Brakes (F/R) Disc (ABS)/drum (ABS)
Drive Train Front-engine/front-wheel-drive
Vehicle Type Five-passenger/four-door
Domestic Content N/A
Coefficient of Drag (Cd.) N/A

PERFORMANCE

EPA Economy, miles per gallon
city/highway/average 20/29/24
0-60 MPH 9.3 seconds
1/4 Mile (E.T.) 16.6 seconds @ 83 mph
Top speed N/A
* Sequential multi-point fuel injection

So the Malibu was scratched & not the Sonata right?
Just the opposite I think.
Took the Sonata in for a recently developed slight ping (on regular) and a startup rattle coming from the rear. They take it in without hitch. Two days later they call me in and say it's done. I reach the dealership and see they parked my car 2ft adjacent to a wall (passenger side). I jump in and move it out to a regular parking spot to give it a look-see. Low and behold, there's a 5 inch scratch down to the metal causing valley dent.
He dumped the Sonata because it got scratched.

I gotta say - your tolerance is lower than most people, or there has to be more to the story.

Either way, congrats on your new ride.
That was the gist of the story. I didn't want to get into too much minutiae. Suffice it to say , the damage to the Sonata occurred at the dealership while in their hands.

Although the purchase dealership takes twice as long, I should have gone there. I will do so for the wife's Palisade.

First comment-I rented a Malibu and put 3,000 miles on it in a week. Not a bad car for what it is.
Second-The "ping" was still there.
What was the Dealerships diagnosis?

What was this "ping"? Where did it originate from?
Was there any warranty on the Sonata left? (100,000 mile powertrain for example?)

First comment-I rented a Malibu and put 3,000 miles on it in a week. Not a bad car for what it is.
Second-The "ping" was still there.
What was the Dealerships diagnosis?

What was this "ping"? Where did it originate from?
Was there any warranty on the Sonata left? (100,000 mile powertrain for example?)
Fully warrantied. The ping was ever so slight, under low speed 2nd to 3rd shift. They changed the plugs and DI injectors, not the MPI ones.

This was the first Hyundai I've had issues with. But these things can happen to anyone. Not so much the rest of the story.

Fully warrantied. The ping was ever so slight, under low speed 2nd to 3rd shift. They changed the plugs and DI injectors, not the MPI ones.
So you really did get rid of it because it was scratched..................

About like buying another Genesis?

Scratch/gouge on a pretty new car would drive me crazy too. Malibu rides pretty good.
Well let's see, I sold the first Genesis for $3k less than I paid for it, 30k miles later. I then bought the Tesla to replace the first Genesis, sold it for a lot more than I paid for it. Drove the Grand Cherokee for 1.5 years and sold it for $1,000 les than I paid for it, then bought the current Genesis 10 months ago and it's almost paid off.

Took the Sonata in for a recently developed slight ping (on regular) and a startup rattle coming from the rear. They take it in without hitch. Two days later they call me in and say it's done. I reach the dealership and see they parked my car 2ft adjacent to a wall (passenger side). I jump in and move it out to a regular parking spot to give it a look-see. Low and behold, there's a 5 inch scratch down to the metal causing valley dent. I calmly walk over and show the Tech. With a straight face he asks, "how'd you do that in our parking lot?" He then puts his palm up and mentions to the guys who retrieve the cars to get another guy to see "what other cars I damaged."

Needless to say, I was LIVID. Nt to mention the audacity that he was more upset than me. The dealership completely refused to entertain anything other than it was the customer's fault.

I didn't buy the car there but heard this dealership was quicker. I learned my lesson. On my way home it still pinged. That was the straw... I called our family attorney who mentioned how much and how drawn out the litigation could be. I gave up after a week and the dealership sent me a $750 check plus a release of fault letter i had to sign. Our local Chevy dealership gave me a truly great deal and now I'm back in the General's graces...after 30 years.
View attachment 208479
View attachment 208480
View attachment 208481
Nice car … messed up circumstances -
But had to dump those clowns …

Back