Dealer won't allow road test of used car

I went to look at a 2012 Mazda5 with 160K miles today. It was located on the typical BHPH lot at the end of an auto mile. The salesman told me it was a cash-only sale because it hadn't been inspected. Not only that, but because it hadn't been inspected I wouldn't be allowed to take it onto the highway for a test drive due to insurance requirements. I could only drive it around the parking lot. I asked when it would be inspected and available for a test drive and was told never. Parking lot only, that's the policy for all cash cars. So needless to say that was a wasted trip.

Have you ever been told by a car dealer you couldn't take a car you were interesting in buying on a test drive?

Tell them they're out of their minds and leave. Gotta start shaming some people again. Only vehicle i didn't test drive was my 2021 escalade. But I've test driven every other new and used vehicle before then. But it didn't matter it was new and sitting in it gave me enough of an idea about it. Didn't want to waste more time in getting it.

I have been a dealer for over 20 years and even had to do BHPH during the Great Recession.

I have never not allowed someone to test drive a car. Not once. There have been times when customers gave me the money for the car even before they tested it. But that had everything to do with well earned trust.

You're lucky. You saved some of your free time for a better purpose.

I went to look at a 2012 Mazda5 with 160K miles today. It was located on the typical BHPH lot at the end of an auto mile. The salesman told me it was a cash-only sale because it hadn't been inspected. Not only that, but because it hadn't been inspected I wouldn't be allowed to take it onto the highway for a test drive due to insurance requirements. I could only drive it around the parking lot. I asked when it would be inspected and available for a test drive and was told never. Parking lot only, that's the policy for all cash cars. So needless to say that was a wasted trip.

Have you ever been told by a car dealer you couldn't take a car you were interesting in buying on a test drive?
That’s about the time a batch of flame job reviews would hit the internet…

I've never been told such, and if I were, I would laugh in the salesman's face and respond with "I would never buy your car." I would do this in the same tone of voice that he used when he said "never." There is no reason not to shame such Sheisters straight to their face. Period.

IMG_1128.jpeg

Yeah, Ive sold non inspected cars when I did used sales, and its very frowned upon. but thats where you go for someone wanting super cheap.

The inspection process, aides keeping the dealer out of hot water, when the car only makes it 24 hours off the lot.

those cars also sold (as is) as PARTS , no warranty.

Back