Dealer used 5.5qts for my 10qts capacity Blackwing

Status
Not open for further replies.
the car never lost lubrication here that could have caused any damage
You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

Let's just hope the OP won't try to use an unapproved oil for his application, like Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 from Walmart, as that would spark some serious outrage and BITOGERs might even bring out their pitchforks and torches to make a point of how important it is to follow manufacturer recommendations... for warranty purposes, of course. 🙄

Apb1ZTG.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the argument of what do expect from an oil tech making minimum wage?

My answer is they make minimum wage not because what they're doing isn't important but because what they're doing is easy and doesn't require any special skills. They are being compensated at the level their skill set to DO THE JOB CORRECTLY.

I think the lube rack is where dreams go to die and young people are exposed to the scourge of lousy middle management crawling up them all day long.

My answer is they make minimum wage not because what they're doing isn't important but because what they're doing is easy and doesn't require any special skills. They are being compensated at the level their skill set to DO THE JOB CORRECTLY.
I made minimum wage when I was 14, and also when I was working in a car dealer at 18. I made barely above throughout college. At no time did I treat my job like a joke or knowingly damage things (one time I did back over a nice wheelbarrow and I hid it in the back of a shed and got caught--I was young).

Once I graduated college, I went back to making below minimum wage, it was like $2.35/hr. Before people start saying what was life like in 1938? This was the late 80's

p.s. looked it up--for 2023, it's $2.83/hr minimum in PA, $2.13/ hr minimum federal, for tipped employees. So $2.35 back then was decent.
:ROFLMAO:

You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

Let's just hope the OP won't try to use an unapproved oil for his application, like Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 from Walmart, as that would spark some serious outrage and BITOGERs might even bring out their pitchforks and torches to make a point of how important it is to follow manufacturer recommendations... for warranty purposes, of course. 🙄

View attachment 152816
Sure I do. The oil pressure would have lit up the dash. He got a low oil light. Not the same.

Sure I do. The oil pressure would have lit up the dash. He got a low oil light. Not the same.
yep, assuming low oil pressure warning system functions and driver was alert, if the oil pressure system has enough oil to cover the oil pump pickup at all times, he wont have hurt anything... oil pressure is only going to disappear if the oil pump starts sucking air, whether monetarily or for long periods of time... only real issue with running with lower than normal oil levels is if under heavy load in high temps the oil will become hotter than normal, or when rounding corners or climbing a steep grade it may experience a loss of pressure because the oil moved around enough to expose the oil pump pickup to air and create a loss of pressure. In this case it doesn't sound like the Blackwing owner experienced that so he should be OK.

Bingo!! And there lies the problem! People don't care, and feel they're underpaid so they'll give their boss what he/she is paying for, instead of doing the right job right, learning more, and advancing. In the world I grew in people advanced by learning and doing a good job! Not piss and moan and feel they're entitled to make a lot of money for showing up. Here's the rub, people like me know that's what they're up against and stay clear of dealerships and quick lube joints. Rant off.

I mean, it's only a $100k car - why pay attention, take pride in your work, or use common sense? (5.5qts for a 6.2L S/C V8? Hmm.) Or check the dipstick even once? Which I guess I'll be doing every time someone touches my car from here on out.
I can't bring myself to let anyone touch our GT500 for routine maintenance like this. It is a PITA to get up on ramps, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I let someone touch it. I would have nightmares of impact wrenches being used on oil pan drain bolts.

When I cracked the stupid plastic oil filter cover and lost oil pressure for 5 seconds the RX 350 did everything but smack me in face. The dash lit up and things started beeping and the center display was yelling shutdown the engine immediately.

When I cracked the stupid plastic oil filter cover and lost oil pressure for 5 seconds the RX 350 did everything but smack me in face. The dash lit up and things started beeping and the center display was yelling shutdown the engine immediately.
Same when our RX350 burst those runner oil lines on the cooler. It was nearly empty when my son got it stopped. It's been fine....

Noteworthy in CA it's over $15. Having studied economics, I actually know what happens when there is a floor like that. It isn't all good, just as rent control (a ceiling) is not all good.
at the moment, where I live near Naples Fl an apartment rents for 2 grand or more and there are Help Wanted Signs in every single small business that has low wage employees. IMHO minimum wage should be 20 bucks an hour.

Just saw a YT video review on Throttle House and also by Tedward, each said this car was better than the new Vette, and GM best sports/performance car effort ever.

Almost every time my wife gets her oil changed at the dealer, I have to correct it. Typically over fill and overcharge on the R.O.. One time they didn't even drain the used oil out, just put the 4.25L on top of the old stuff!

This engine should be fine, I would NOT have topped a high capacity pan off though. I never run a wet sump performance engine full capacity unless it has a deep winged pan and good trap baffling and windage tray. Foaming is the forgotten engine killer - even though every O.M. I have read has a stern warning.

On a funny note my Old 1974 Vega GT had a factory oil pressure ignition kill. NO OP = NO GO.

Don't ask me how I found out :oops: :D

Last edited:
at the moment, where I live near Naples Fl an apartment rents for 2 grand or more and there are Help Wanted Signs in every single small business that has low wage employees. IMHO minimum wage should be 20 bucks an hour.
I guess economic principles don't apply in Naples. My Lexus was sold at Germain there, still has a VIP sticker on the front.

Want to know the reality of what I have observed? Popular restaurants that have killed it for decades, one observes the owner(s) and their families doing everything, from waiting, bussing, cleaning, etc. If they are forced to do the cooking, they're out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back