Dealer says I need new hub bearing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW my wife bought a new 1999 Jeep Cherokee and at 20,000 miles the dealer replaced both front bearings under warranty. They were making noise sort of like an off-road tire. Sometimes they just get a bad batch from their supplier. The replacements were good when she traded the car. Any independent mechanic should handle the job cheaper than at the dealer.

A mechanic's stethoscope should be able to find a bad bearing with the car in the air. It's my go-to tool for finding bad bearings. Have to "drive" it up to at least 45mph and listen. You'll know it when you hear it.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I ended up declining the hub bearing replacement. I'll keep listening out to see if it gets any "worse".

If it is the bearing, it can get much worse, very fast.

Why would you wait, it is not going to fix itself?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
A mechanic's stethoscope should be able to find a bad bearing with the car in the air. It's my go-to tool for finding bad bearings. Have to "drive" it up to at least 45mph and listen. You'll know it when you hear it.

Just how do all that, car airborne, 45 MPH, and using stethoscope? I think if you could capture that, it's youtube worthy.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Just how do all that, car airborne, 45 MPH, and using stethoscope? I think if you could capture that, it's youtube worthy.

We do it every day here in the shop.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
We do it every day here in the shop.
lol.gif

Beware that even with your FWD tranny in neutral your differential might make the other side tire spin backwards when you spin yours, so basing a "drag reading" on that could be futile. The "best" way would be without a CV axle in there but then you wouldn't have the preload on it from the axle nut.

I've had tight, noisy bearings, loose quiet bearings, and loose, noisy bearings. Whatever.

Also old school bearings with .0010 of play built in on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back