Daughter of Apple engineer gets him fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: JC1
I'm looking forward to the day when people say, "Do you remember when people would line up for days to buy Apple products"?

Who on BITOG is going to spend over $1000 to buy one?

Do you remember when people would line up for 5 days in winter time to buy a Cabbage Patch Doll ?

Yes I do. Aren't we getting old.... ;-)

There is confidential stuff at my company that we are privy to, if we do not keep it confidential we will be quickly fired.

Them is the rules.

Yes sir … all these years later I’m constantly doing real or online policy training ~ Slipped on my 1st coffee @ 5 am doing my annual documentation controls … just finished conflict of interest … proprietary information … cyber security …
Yeah, never ends … Lawyer (and now a hacker) in every bush …

I'm looking forward to the day when people say, "Do you remember when people would line up for days to buy Apple products"?

Instead they spend hundreds of dollars on oil stashes on sale they'll never use or likely see much benefit from. Oil makes them feel good just like a phone makes someone else feel good. Also an iPhone X has SUPERIOR resale compared to the new vehicles purchased by most folks here.

Yep … And look at strange popularity of smartphone (gouging) outfits *vs* hatred of lubricant producers …

This had to be a publicity stunt, the way he is so casual about it saying the features loudly to the cashier and those around, showing it off at the table and handing it to some with a huge camera. People would at least be checking out why she was recording even if it was a walk-by check-it-out. People making cutting edge tech know what they are doing if their livelihood hangs in the balance, they take measures to ensure their jobs. They daughter would also know that her dad's job depended on keeping things secure and wouldn't be so flippant about it if she cared two hoots about her dad/parents for that matter.

If, on the remote outside chance it wasn't a publicity stunt....the man is a complete idiot...and his daughter also.

I can't believe these people would be that stupid. I've worked on security/espionage issues for a major tech firm. I'd be buying the devil ice skates and tire chains before anyone in this person's position would be this dumb.

There's only three versions of events I can believe:

1. Publicity stunt

2. Father wanted to get fired intentionally

3. Drug use

There's no way an intelligent and well-meaning person accidentally let's this happen.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Instead they spend hundreds of dollars on oil stashes on sale they'll never use or likely see much benefit from. Oil makes them feel good just like a phone makes someone else feel good. Also an iPhone X has SUPERIOR resale compared to the new vehicles purchased by most folks here.

They feel real good about that stash until the car it's used in is disposed of-either traded, sold or wrecked. OR-when they move and the movers won't move the oil OR it's simply not practical to move it.

I just love the hoarders here on BITOG. But these guys represent far less than 10% of all registered members on BITOG.

I think resale value is really not much of an issue on here-most buy used and drive them in to the ground. And those of us that buy new cars-are usually well aware of how poor an investment a new car is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

They feel real good about that stash until the car it's used in is disposed of-either traded, sold or wrecked. OR-when they move and the movers won't move the oil OR it's simply not practical to move it.

I just love the hoarders here on BITOG. But these guys represent far less than 10% of all registered members on BITOG.

I think resale value is really not much of an issue on here-most buy used and drive them in to the ground. And those of us that buy new cars-are usually well aware of how poor an investment a new car is.

If all I had were a couple of newish cars, I'd have a lot less oil on hand.
Many of us have family fleets to maintain ranging from new to more than twenty years old, so we have use for a variety of grades and also go through a lot of oil each year.
This can in no way be equated with parting with a grand for the newest handset, which is no more than a minor variation on a well-established theme.
Still, if it's worth a grand to someone to carry this newest of the new, then I'd not argue that it's a foolish expenditure for them even if I'd regard it as such for me.
We are all utility maximizers.
Basic microeconomics.

We were helping my SIL and her husband to clear out their house before moving to a smaller place upon retirement. You would not believe the amount of oil he has stashed that he will probably never get a chance to use. I vote that he get elected to be an honorary BITOG member even though he'll probably never post here.

Last edited:
1. He might of been on the chopping block to begin with
2. Gives phone to vlogger daughter knowing it will get a ton of views
3. Put ads on Youtube video
4. Video gets tons of views
5. Profit.

Unreleased products are handed to engineers for testing purposes but should not be passed to other people for show. This is the biggest employee rules at Apple because Steve Jobs stole the idea of GUI from Xerox and he knows how serious these kind of things can be.

One AppleWatch engineer let his girlfriend, also working as an admin in Apple, wear his test watch daily. Got caught and he was fired. She didn't sign the NDA so she wasn't fired, but I'd not be surprised if she will be getting bad performance and let go eventually.

The dad should not have given into the daughter's show off pressure, he signed the NDA and he should remember how seriously the company takes it. He would have gotten an email that said "now you can show it to everyone because it is already available in the store physically", and until then no show.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Ho hummmmmmmmmmmmm.

From someone who would never buy a phone over 25.00......

LOL I used to be the same way until I got my first smartphone in 2016 (Apple iphone 5S). Now I can't live w/o it and the phone company (ATT) lets you make interest free payments for 30 months. I'll have mine paid off next summer! 30 payments of $13.33. Don't really even notice it on my bill.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Can someone please explain to me why I need to pay a premium price for an iPhone that does nothing more than a hundred buck Android handset?

You don't need to. In fact, you don't have to buy any phone at all. Yet, the market rewards winners, currently, Apple is winning. Will it in five years? Who knows. The nature of technology is that there's always someone with a new better idea.

35.gif

She just seems immature and annoying like she's looking for her five seconds, I find it hard to believe all of this happened. As someone who works in tech, I find it hard to believe that given the lengths Apple goes to enforce those rules, which they would be drilling into him daily, he would have no problem handing her a device he knows he's testing and suddenly forget major corporate security policy.

She claims she was at the Apple campus as a visitor. I know my company drills into us how visitors are to be treated, we're almost supposed to treat them like adversaries, never leave them alone, don't let them touch anything on a workspace, lock your PC at all times, stuff like that. This stuff gets audited too by a third-party. The last time I went to Google HQ for a tech meetup, they made us sign an NDA before we even went in. I have no doubt that before they issued the test devices, they made all of them sign an NDA.

So he knows he has a visitor there (which warrants extra attention), knows he signed an NDA (probably), has to have known about the story where a dummy left a test device in a bar (Apple would have blasted it internally), but decides to give his daughter who likes to make video blogs, access to an unreleased test device? Lets her record a video with it? Knowing she doesn't work for Apple and therefore didn't sign the same NDA he did? Why? Because she's a family member? Talk about awful judgement, it was good they let him go.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
She just seems immature and annoying like she's looking for her five seconds, I find it hard to believe all of this happened. As someone who works in tech, I find it hard to believe that given the lengths Apple goes to enforce those rules, which they would be drilling into him daily, he would have no problem handing her a device he knows he's testing and suddenly forget major corporate security policy.

She claims she was at the Apple campus as a visitor. I know my company drills into us how visitors are to be treated, we're almost supposed to treat them like adversaries, never leave them alone, don't let them touch anything on a workspace, lock your PC at all times, stuff like that. This stuff gets audited too by a third-party. The last time I went to Google HQ for a tech meetup, they made us sign an NDA before we even went in. I have no doubt that before they issued the test devices, they made all of them sign an NDA.

So he knows he has a visitor there (which warrants extra attention), knows he signed an NDA (probably), has to have known about the story where a dummy left a test device in a bar (Apple would have blasted it internally), but decides to give his daughter who likes to make video blogs, access to an unreleased test device? Lets her record a video with it? Knowing she doesn't work for Apple and therefore didn't sign the same NDA he did? Why? Because she's a family member? Talk about awful judgement, it was good they let him go.

Usually many engineers have to "carry" them around after it is announced to public so they can test and iron out all the bugs. This is permitted but they should not show it to anyone and absolutely not publicize it to the press or social media. They started this exposed to public test after the iPhone 4 antenna gate problem. They put it in a shell and tested perfectly, until people hold it in their hands and the hands shorted the antennas and screwed up the receptions.

Only when he gets an email from the higher up then can they show it around, this usually happen after the first day of sales (not pre-order).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back