Daughter Hates Dell and her Inspiron 6000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again: if you're an experienced user, the above advice will work well and save you a bunch of money. If you are not, you won't even be able to follow it, much less will it benefit you. That's why, when people have problems using PCs, the problems are so consistent.

The extra money spent on a Mac is significant, but it is a one-time expense that knocks those problems out permanently. If this computer is for school, a Mac sounds like a total no-brainer.

I Really appreciate the good ideas and info.

I think her problems are from most of the reasons you guys mention. I have been pushing her towards the Mac. I have run windows in all my computers. Never tried any other OS. At some point I would like to try a mac with maybe a dual OS Windows?

I have AVG free version in mine and my Daughters laptop. Seems to do pretty well. I don't know how spybot would work with AVG. I have gotten used to using AVG.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I Really appreciate the good ideas and info.

I think her problems are from most of the reasons you guys mention. I have been pushing her towards the Mac. I have run windows in all my computers. Never tried any other OS. At some point I would like to try a mac with maybe a dual OS Windows?

I have AVG free version in mine and my Daughters laptop. Seems to do pretty well. I don't know how spybot would work with AVG. I have gotten used to using AVG.

I don't believe that the latest free version of AVG provides antispyware/antimalware protection. That is why I switched to the free version of Avast.

Not sure if this reflect your daughter's experience, only my wife's.

At her work they use mostly MAC because the company's board of directors are also on Apple's board (Genentech), and my wife hated Mac completely.

She is used to PC and couldn't stand the 1 button mouse, the way applications would not close by clicking the X but hide in the background, the dashboard, the safari browser, the way some of its office application isn't opening the PC version's file the same way. She is used to Windows and has always been using Windows, and after using a mac for 4 years she still hates it. Well, less prefer is the more correct phrase than hate.

Mind you this is with a company computer, there is no way she would pay this MAC tax to get a MAC. I do see the benefit of a MAC, it's sexier, it's plastic is higher quality, it's fit and finish is better. For the VW and German car crowd (aka dash stroker), it is a more "luxury" experience, as all MAC are consistent in build quality despite some of them have very low end performance spec.

PC is a mix bag, DELL in particular. The Vostro lines are usually Walmart plastic toys, the Latitude Laptop are very good quality (80% of thinkpad in quality, much cheaper), the Precision is very very good (we run it in the lab for all the high performance simulation). I've been running my 2 Optiplex at work for 3 years 247 and its fit and finish and quality are better than any MAC I've seen in my life, and it is very very silent.

As I used to work for Maxtor and we OEM to all manufactures as 1st tier supplier. I can tell you that we ship them the prime drives, and DELL and Apple both have the highest spec, then HP and Compaq, and then other OEMs, then retails. I'd imagine if you are shipping to OEM they are all about the same, even Apple, as they outsource to the tier 1 contractors in Taiwan/China who buy the same component grades anyways.

Now for your daughter. I'd imagine it is because she got a low end machine that has poor fit and finish. I've seen these laptops 1st hand, developing green line in the LCD and a key fall out, etc. I've also seen a high quality latitude laptop in the same generation (Core Duo) but build much better than anything else I've seen.

Having a Mac is like having an automatic transmission. It is easier for you to use if you are used to it, but if you are not used to it, it won't make your life better (i.e. my wife) and you may think that it is "hard to use".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprintman
Spybot is a waste of time. a-squared Free from Germany gets my vote and I have tried many

Spybot is a waste of a download period. Just like Adware,both programs do not cut it these days.

Superantispyware and Antimalwarebytes, which are both free programs, will be better at detecting spyware,etc.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
What are the differences between the M and F series?

I find the M has a nicer chassis. It's definitely better looking.

-Chris

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I should add she is 23 yrs old and on her 5th year of college.

She has pretty intense school work at any given time. So the computer needs to work right all the time, not 98%

She has had problems with reports and stuff disappearing. She has been in tears more than once. I try to teach her to back them up on other media etc. She is a smart girl, but sometimes I feel like she thinks what does Dad know????
smirk2.gif

Your daughter is pulling your leg - plain and simple. She's just interested in new lappy. Documents don't just "disappear". In Word Perfect, the auto-save is something like every ten minutes.

I have Office 2k3 Pro. I actually went out on a mission to discover how much (or little) would be lost that auto-save would not keep in the event of a failure. Test is simple, you just run on battery, type something in Word, then pull the battery out. Most I ever lost: one phrase out of a twelve page document.

People who are too lazy to maintain a system have to pay the price. About the only thing going to a Mac that would help your daughter out is slowing the amount of sh*t she installs!

("But daddy those MSN icons are sooooo cute!!!!!"
smirk2.gif
)

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

Your daughter is pulling your leg - plain and simple. She's just interested in new lappy.

Yup. And having new stuff is just cool, especially the newest Apple stuff. It's almost a status symbol thing, kind of like Starbucks.

And yes, this is coming from the college student who got suckered into paying $300 for an Apple iPod touch a few months ago. It's cool alright, but the product definitely isn't worth the money.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
For 300 bucks you could have gotten two nice dork wrenches!

LOL.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back