Darwin Grip

There was a thread here a while back that mentioned the Darwin Grip and it made me aware of this product. I have a bad back that limits my weed whacking sessions to about 15 minutes and the reviews look promising.

Both of my string trimmers have the bicycle handles and are not compatible with the Darwin Grip so I'm looking at buying a new trimmer and the Grip just to try it out but I'd love to hear some feedback from those of you who have one.

https://www.darwinsgrip.com

Last edited:
My Son In Law got me one for Father's Day gift. I love it! Mounted it and had to play with where I liked the sweet spot when using my Ryobi gas straight shaft week wacker. I use it with my left hand and have it cocked almost 45 degrees, right hand for throttle. It really does save on your back as it keeps you more upright like their ad states. SIL has one and it takes him 2 hours to do his property and he loves the attachment also. He's in his mid 30"s, me in my late 60"s and no achy breaky backs.

My dad made something like this for his snow shovel when I was a kid. We had a long driveway. I could not understand how one could shovel snow with out it.

I just picked up an old non-running Tanaka string trimmer with the loop handle for free. If I can get it running I am going to order the Darwin Grip and try it out before investing in a new trimmer.

Can you get it in any other color besides neon green?
I've only seen neon green and then a knock-off white one on Amazon. Not sure on the quality of the knock off. I have the green one and it's awesome. Helps keep your back straight while weed trimming. Once a year I help a friend weed wack around Christmas trees on his tree farm, usually for two full 8-hour days, and the grip makes a night and day difference.

I've only seen neon green and then a knock-off white one on Amazon. Not sure on the quality of the knock off. I have the green one and it's awesome. Helps keep your back straight while weed trimming. Once a year I help a friend weed wack around Christmas trees on his tree farm, usually for two full 8-hour days, and the grip makes a night and day difference.
I have a STIHL trimmer and if I want to keep myself in an upright position, I have to let my arms hang down as straight as possible.

I'm concerned about the hexagonal vise clamp on the neon green model. It looks like it would hurt the drive tube it clamps to by using those hexagon corners. It would have been better if the vise was still round like the previous models, but have separate vises made specifically for the diameter of each individual brand. I don't know how many different diameters there are, but a STIHL drive tube is right around 25mm.

Last edited:

I just got it today and already broke the quick release lever. They shouldn't drill holes in it; that weakens it.

Come to find out, that quick release lever is the same exact part used for securing a bicycle seat post.

Amazon

Back