Dad almost lost a engine from a Double Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happens because the gasket wasn't oiled when the filter was installed, allowing it to bond itself to the engine block after many heat cycles. I've never had a filter I've installed lose a gasket, yet...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
It happens because the gasket wasn't oiled when the filter was installed, allowing it to bond itself to the engine block after many heat cycles. I've never had a filter I've installed lose a gasket, yet...

I always oil my gaskets, and the last one on my bike stuck.
The one on my brother in laws truck was done by a lube shop, so no idea on that one.

Wix filter gaskets stick to GM LS V-8’s all the time. Wix is good stuff, you just gotta check. Seriously it’s like 50% of the time the stinkin thing leaves the gasket behind. ALWAYS check.

The only one I have ever had stick was a FL-820s on my 2010 FX4. It was oiled at installation, but I ran it 15K with M1 0W-20 AFE. I saw the gasket before I installed the new filter and prevented a mess.

In my hundreds of oil/filter changes I only had one gasket that did not come out with the filter. It was around the year 1998 I believe on a v10 Ford Econoline Van. I never checked before for this issue. The filter was a good size so it came with a pretty thick gasket. I remember looking at the filter mount and thinking: "Hmm, never seen this design before." Then while cleaning it up I noticed that this thing moved, so messing with it more made it fall off. Then I realized it wasn't a new design, it was just the rubber gasket of the old filter. After that I started looking for it, but never happened again on all STP, Fram, Purolator, Supertech, Motorcraft, Bosch and probably a few other brands of filters I took off over the years.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

I had a Fram leave the gasket behind last week for the first time even though I always oil it before installation. I always check since it can happen with any filter... and most filters use the same design where the gasket is held in by a fairly light crimp.

Some OE filters (and a very small number of aftermarket filters) have a P shaped gasket that seems to have better retention abilities than the more common square cut design seen in most filters.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Patman
In 32 years of changing my oil I have never had a gasket come off the old filter upon removal. But I always check just in case.

I had it happen a few times, but I do two things to avoid a potential problem. 1. Is check the old filter and see it if it has the gasket or not. 2. Wipe the area on the engine where the filter mates with the engine, and make sure there is no gasket there. Aside from that there isn't much else to do.

I work part time at a local lube shop. I run into this probably once out every 50 cars or so. Only ran into one car with a double gasket. I was honestly surprised that it didn't blow out through the side, but it was leaking oil. Always clean the baseplate before installing the new filter. If I can find the pic I took, I'll show how well a Valvoline shop installed a cartridge filter in a Chevy Cobalt!

L8R,
Matt

IMG_0081_zpsfitwwlcx.jpg

Happened to me once. Got in a hurry because I was late for softball. As soon as I backed her down off the ramps, I knew what I had done - doh!

Yes, two gaskets smooshed together do NOT a seal make.

That was 20+ years ago, and I don't remember it happening again. But as others above have noted, it's a lesson learned real fast.

Oh - and I ended up being REALLY late for softball!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back