D585 coils primary resistance?

Anyone know the primary resistance range of D585 truck coils? These would be GM part number 10457730 and the resistance measured between pin A and pin D.
I understand these need to be setup for low dwell time less than 3.5, and are not as preferred as the D581 coils. I have 16 of the D585 coils in my possession but not sure how I feel about running 20 year old coils on a high hp boosted setup. I was considering buying D581 new GM coils 19418993.

@clinebarger have you ever measured primary resistance from Pin A to Pin D on the D585 coils? Or secondary resistance from pin A to the coil output where it makes contact with the spark plug wire?

I understand that you can’t tell if a coil is working correctly based on resistance alone.

I run 585 coils on my boosted LS. I have the factory ECM with hptuners so the dwell issues isn't an issue for me. In my case, I've had one coil go bad and replaced it with a Amazon coil. The bolt pattern on the 585 is different that almost all the others and even in Houston, I have yet to find anyone selling 585 coils.

Anyone know the primary resistance range of D585 truck coils? These would be GM part number 10457730 and the resistance measured between pin A and pin D.
I understand these need to be setup for low dwell time less than 3.5, and are not as preferred as the D581 coils. I have 16 of the D585 coils in my possession but not sure how I feel about running 20 year old coils on a high hp boosted setup. I was considering buying D581 new GM coils 19418993.

@clinebarger have you ever measured primary resistance from Pin A to Pin D on the D585 coils? Or secondary resistance from pin A to the coil output where it makes contact with the spark plug wire?

I understand that you can’t tell if a coil is working correctly based on resistance alone.

Would you like me to take some readings? I have plenty of about every LS coil made.

@clinebarger Hi Chris, so I purchased a IG80 coil tester on amazon and while this doesn't take into account dwell time and load, it can tell you if the coil packs are functioning. I don't have a scope so this was the best I could do until I get them on the car. I just wanted to get an idea on what was good. A coil pack pigtail was purchased also to make the checks easier. The resistances from A-D measured 1.6-1.5ohm and 5100-5140 ohm from Pin A to coil output/spark on genuine D585 coils. Now what I've heard is that the dwell time in the tune needs to be kept under 4.5 as these will fire automatically at 4.7 and above, which would be very bad of course on a boosted setup and increased timing. I heard that to avoid risk, some guys go for the D514, D510, or D581 coils as those can go up to 7.0 dwell time if need be. I may just run these at the safe dwell time.

I found this interesting:

Back