Cutting A Padlock

I lost the keys to the Padlock for the shed and need to cut the shackle . How can you tell which side of the Shackle to cut ?

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 11-51-19 Amazon.com Master Lock 22D Laminated Steel Warded Padlock 1-...jpg

Based upon my recollection, on a standard laminated Masterlock, the latching side of the shackle is the same side that the teeth on the key faces.

However, if you cut the shackle near the top arch, the unlocked side will pivot enough to allow you to remove it from the latch.

Last edited:
Based upon my recollection, on a standard laminated Masterlock, the latching side of the shackle is the same side that the teeth on the key faces.

However, if you cut the shackle near the top arch, the unlocked side will pivot enough to allow you to remove it from the latch.
Good observation and good point as well .

Take a chisel or a punch and put it against the top where the shackle goes into, a good swing downward with a heavy hammer will usually do it.

Take a chisel or a punch and put it against the top where the shackle goes into, a good swing downward with a heavy hammer will usually do it.
FYI ; Not a good idea because the hardware that screws into the door broke off and not the lock . It's alright tho ..... new everything will look alot better .

Can't you just grind the rivet heads off the bottom, then the whole thing falls apart?

You might want to try this double tap method to save the lock in case you find the key later:

Thanks for the vids but the problem is .... there not realistic . Imaging having the lock hooked up to lock hardware and in tight spaces . It's not that easy .

I had to remove my lock from the kicker motor on my boat. I watched the boat mechanic take an angle grinder and he had the lock cut within 60 seconds. I was surprised it was so easy.

Lock-picking lawyer takes about 1.5 secs to open that basic Master lock. If you have any interest at all in picking up this skill now’s a good time. Cutting is actually harder than picking, once you get over the learning curve.

Bolt cutters.
It's a cheap lock anyway and not worth much effort to try to save.

FYI ; Not a good idea because the hardware that screws into the door broke off and not the lock . It's alright tho ..... new everything will look alot better .
Yeah, it is one of the more violent ways of doing it. Never had the hasp break though.

I had to remove my lock from the kicker motor on my boat. I watched the boat mechanic take an angle grinder and he had the lock cut within 60 seconds. I was surprised it was so easy.

yep a metal cut off wheel is a wonderful device.
a bolt cutter will work on small cheap locks.
a big bolt cutter works on most padlocks..
an acetylene torch will cut any one of them off.

Back