Cuts on tire sidewall

Status
Not open for further replies.
A resounding yes for replacement! Seeing as I've got some upcoming holiday road trips, replacement is a wise choice. These TA31's are nothing to write home about but I want to keep everything the same on all 4 corners versus having one oddball. WM has a surprisingly low price. I'm going to get it shipped to my house and have my tire guy install it.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
It's always interesting to see how different people value safety. Good call replacing it IMO.

thumbsup2.gif
Family safety first
01.gif

The indentation is not a worry

It is where the belts overlap When a tire comes out of the mold and it hot they inflate it. Makes for a stronger and more uniform tire. When it is inflated, where the belts overlap it simply does not expand as much. Now a indent is fine, a bulge is never fine.

Rod

I've seen those indentations on lots of brand new tires.
They can be subtle, but they're there.
I'd have to pull back at that cut with fingers to make a judgement.
The photo is insufficient info for me.

Originally Posted by mclasser
A resounding yes for replacement! Seeing as I've got some upcoming holiday road trips, replacement is a wise choice. These TA31's are nothing to write home about but I want to keep everything the same on all 4 corners versus having one oddball. WM has a surprisingly low price. I'm going to get it shipped to my house and have my tire guy install it.

I think you're wise to have replaced it/them.

That cut looked like there was a tiny bit of cord in it - meaning the carcase was compromised.

Nothing sucks more than having a tire failure during a holiday road trip. Trip interrupted. You've got to buy what you can get at the time, not what you would prefer. And a big expense that you weren't expecting.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr

It is where the belts overlap When a tire comes out of the mold and it hot they inflate it. Makes for a stronger and more uniform tire. When it is inflated, where the belts overlap it simply does not expand as much. Now a indent is fine, a bulge is never fine.

Rod

This perfectly explains the "indentation".

Rule of thumb: if you can see cord, replace the tire. Peel back any hanging rubber if necessary to see clearly. If you don't see cord, leave it be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr

Rod

Indent can also be from road damage.. from say what caused the 2 slices directly inline above it?

Also appears to be a chunk of cord showing.. I'd have to inspect it directly.

I would be much more cautious saying "its good" than yes replace it.

Originally Posted by Rand
….. Indent can also be from road damage......

Ah ….. Mmmmm …….. Not exactly.

BULGES can be caused by road damage, but indentations are caused by the ply splice. Bulges can also be caused by manufacturing issues, but indentations can NOT be caused by road damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back