Cutaway inline-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
How small did you guys go in the 6s ?

Ford had a 144, 170, 200, 221, and then the 250 (and apparently a 188)

Holden went 149, 179. 161, 186, 138, 173 202 (odd order is that there was a small and large displacement 6 moving through the model years)

(can mod a ford 221 crank to make a 235 Holden).

There were three sizes of legendary Mopar Slant 6 - 170, 198, and 225. The 225 was the best-known.

My '62 Chevy II had a 194 inline 6.

I don't know my Fords well enough to comment.

Another small inline 6 sold here was Datsun's, as used in the 240Z (2393 cc/146 in^3).

Originally Posted By: Number_35

There were three sizes of legendary Mopar Slant 6 - 170, 198, and 225. The 225 was the best-known.

Another small inline 6 sold here was Datsun's, as used in the 240Z (2393 cc/146 in^3).
The Ford 144 and 170 were 4-bearing engines for the early (1960- ) US Falcon. Later replaced by the more modern 200 (and its 250 variation for larger models). I never heard of a Ford 221 Six. There WAS a Ford 223, introduced for 1954 models and replaced by the 240 (and stroked 300 version) in 1965 for full-size cars and trucks. They supposedly couldn't use the 240 in smaller models because it was too long and heavy; thus the 200 was stroked to make the 250.

Your 194 Chevy II was a close relative to the 230 and 250 versions, and also the early base-Chevy II Four that was the 230 with two cylinders missing.

That 240Z Six was the 1.6L Four of the original US-version 510 with two extra cylinders.

Originally Posted By: CR94

The Ford 144 and 170 were 4-bearing engines for the early (1960- ) US Falcon. Later replaced by the more modern 200 (and its 250 variation for larger models). I never heard of a Ford 221 Six. There WAS a Ford 223, introduced for 1954 models and replaced by the 240 (and stroked 300 version) in 1965 for full-size cars and trucks. They supposedly couldn't use the 240 in smaller models because it was too long and heavy; thus the 200 was stroked to make the 250.

Your 194 Chevy II was a close relative to the 230 and 250 versions, and also the early base-Chevy II Four that was the 230 with two cylinders missing.

That 240Z Six was the 1.6L Four of the original US-version 510 with two extra cylinders.

Interesting, so the Chevy II 153 cu. in. 'Iron Duke' was a cutdown 230? Makes sense, it's about 2/3 the displacement. Makes more sense than cutting a 90-degree V8 down to make a V6, although in practice that worked out very well for GM. (The 350 [5.7] was the basis for the 4.3, and the 305 (5.0] was cut down to become the 3.8. I think that Mopar did similar, lopping two cylinders off the 318 (5.2) to create the 3.9 V6.

Originally Posted By: CR94
I never heard of a Ford 221 Six

Here's one
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beverley...gine/1174742413

$_20.JPG

And one in bits
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carlisle...-box/1136326871

$_20.JPG

That's the crank that they would machine the flywheel flange off and put a holden one on to make a stroker crank for our Holden 6 cylinders...235 CI resulting.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Triumph made their 6 by adding a couple of cylinders to a 4 cyl, and made a nice engine out of it

Then, a few years later-didn't Triumph design a V8 and cut it in half to make a 4 cylinder out of it?

That's at least how I've heard the engine in the TR-7 described.

Interesting, so the Chevy II 153 cu. in. 'Iron Duke' was a cutdown 230? Makes sense, it's about 2/3 the displacement. ...
True, except the "Iron Duke" nickname applied not to that engine, but to a later (1980s) GM V8-to-I4 conversion; the Iron Duke was half a Pontiac 301 V8.
That both those GM Fours were about equal in displacement was sort of a coincidence. The older Chevy II 4-cylinder was not a hot seller.

As far as cutaways: When I was in college, the engineering lab had a cutaway of an old flat-head Chrysler in-line Six, which was several years obsolete (replaced by the OHV Slant Six). I thought it was amusing, but everybody else ignored it. The functional engines hooked to dynos were more exciting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Then, a few years later-didn't Triumph design a V8 and cut it in half to make a 4 cylinder out of it?

That's at least how I've heard the engine in the TR-7 described.

I think it's the other way around...they built the 4 (which became the saab engine as well), then joined two for the V-8.

The TR-8 used the Rover/Buick.

And the Vauxhall/Bedford slant 4...half a V8.

We also got them in 2 litre.

That would be the smallest inline-6 I've ever heard of - 2 l is approximately 122 cu in. For whatever reason, the Japanese tended to export larger engines to North America.

There is at least one smaller 6-cylinder engine though, albeit not inline; Mazda offered an optional 1.8 l V6 in the MX-3 back in the day.

Of course we know that the absolutely smallest gasoline (petrol) engine is the one Keith Stewart built. (Is anyone else a fan of Nevil Shute's Trustee From The Toolroom? Charming story, and a good read for any gearhead.)

Standard Triumph got their 6 down to 1600cc in the Vitesse.

As previously mentioned, the Triumph Vitesse was a 1,600cc inline 6.

I'm supposed to be teaching a "Technology English" course at the moment. Stupid idea with students who can't write sentences.

Judging by the mandatory textbook (which I'm not using) the school want it to be mindless IT buzzword recitation. This would admittedly. in my experience, produce typical IT managers.

Buggered if I'm doing that. Last week I had one member from each of 5 groups being the piston in a Audi 5-cylinder with an animation on the OHP. (Bang! Blow!, Suck!, Squeeze!) with points for rythm and accuracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-five_engine#/media/File:Reihenmotor_F%C3%BCnf_Zylinder.gif

They hated it, but the rest of the class seemed to quite like it. Much smartphone videoing.

Education by victimisation. Sacrifice the one for the benefit of the many.

Might be a new educational principle.

Last edited:
That would be the smallest inline-6 I've ever heard of - 2 l is approximately 122 cu in. For whatever reason, the Japanese tended to export larger engines to North America.

There is at least one smaller 6-cylinder engine though, albeit not inline; Mazda offered an optional 1.8 l V6 in the MX-3 back in the day.

Of course we know that the absolutely smallest gasoline (petrol) engine is the one Keith Stewart built. (Is anyone else a fan of Nevil Shute's Trustee From The Toolroom? Charming story, and a good read for any gearhead.)

IIRC Honda had a racing V-5 at 25cc per cylinder.

Honda made a 1048cc (64ci) inline 6.

Well, it we are talking motorcycles, Honda made the 250 6. I knew a guy who grew up close to Silverstone, he said the Honda 6 was the most impressive thing he's ever heard.

There is a full lap on board this thing, but this is enough. It's got so little bottom end he doesn't get the clutch fully engaged until he's almost out of the picture.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Honda made a 1048cc (64ci) inline 6.

Guy at work has a few of them...

Kawasaki also made a 1,300 CC six
kawasaki-z1300-engine-drivetrain.jpg

And the Vauxhall/Bedford slant 4...half a V8.

We also got them in 2 litre.

What Datsun had a 2.0?

The old Nissan 1.6 4 banger was close kin to the 240Z 2.4 liter six. They shared bore, stroke, pistons, rods, timing components, oil pump, etc.

Both were extremely durable IME...

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

What Datsun had a 2.0?

Japanese market only, but of course we get lots of those in NZ. We also got the RB20 in the Holden Commodore VL. I don't think it was used in Australia, but dumped on us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back