[Cut Open] Purolator Synthetic PSL14610 - 5,729 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t disagree it did the job.

I did run it almost twice as long as recommended time wise, but I wouldn’t expect that to be an issue for a synthetic media filter, and otherwise the use was not particularly trying.

This car has been in the family since new, prior to my ownership it was dealer serviced with primarily SynTec blend at approximately 7,500 mile intervals. It is pretty varnished up, but the steady diet of M1 seems to be cleaning it up a bit. The car isn’t sludged up though and there is never anything in filter other than varnish stains and dirty oil. No chunks of carbon or the like.

I’m pretty sure the prior filters are here if you go to my post and filter by topics I created, my recollection is that this is about the worst looking filter that has come off the car.

I hope to have the UOA back Monday.

A MicroGreen went on, so in 2 years we will see what that looks like.
grin.gif

As an aside, I once again sliced my hand open trying to peel the media back, this time the end cap got me. It was my intent to try to remove the media entirely but my hand slipped. I don’t know that I will be trying to do that again.
cry.gif

Robert,

How the miles are accrued is a factor on how long the oil and filter can last. Your UOA might prove interesting. I would like to see it.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Next time a Fram is cut open, in perfect condition, someone good at searching can show pictures of Frams brought out from hiding under the rug:
1. missing the bottom of a pleat, Ultra
2. missing about 1/3 of the element entirely
3. showing a bypass valve hanging on half way
4. folded over adbv under the base plate
5. Ultra cartridge with separated end cap from the media

Just to be fair and consistent. What is good for one brand is good for all. I have attacked Purolators plenty myself, with a long list of common defects, but not unfairly. The adbv on this filter has never been shown defective, but someone has to put up a pic of the different type adbv cut, as if it means something. It means nothing. That's what I am saying, and it's correct.

And people DO. So yeah, all's fair in the "failed filter wars". But don't get bent out of shape and do your "Fram Boy radicalism" and "radicalized Fram shills" bull manure when people show Purolators, but not when people show other brands of filters. A failure is a failure is a failure. There's no "fair" involved.

No one has a nice Fram Ultra post with no defects, and someone posts a different model with defects and says see look here how bad. Never saw that type of deception until this thread. I don't care what you imagine, but what I say is correct. Manure is on your side, you have the orange glasses on. You need to get the last word so go for it.

I will go for it ... those threads do exist where people inject failure info into a thread just like this one. It goes both ways, so take the one-way view hate glasses off.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
^^^^IMO, a fair AND on topic evaluation of this PSL anecdote.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the thumbs up. I was trying to bring the thread back on topic. As you can see, I failed to meet my objective.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the thumbs up. I was trying to bring the thread back on topic. As you can see, I failed to meet my objective.
coffee2.gif

Yeah, it looks OK for 5,729 miles. The time factor (23 mo) doesn't really play a role on its condition IMO. I wouldn't use one for a few reasons, but thanks for a look inside.
grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

coffee2.gif

Nonetheless, after reading this thread I for one appreciated your effort in BOTH areas and thus the recognition of such.

thumbsup2.gif

coffee2.gif

Nonetheless, after reading this thread I for one appreciated your effort in BOTH areas and thus the recognition of such.

I also appreciate it.
thumbsup2.gif

Blackstone has the oil sample, so the UOA will show up eventually. This car does not usually turn in stellar results.

As far as usage, I don’t believe the way the miles are traveled has changed appreciably, it sits more and it sits in a carport instead of a garage but it goes a lot of the same places.

Duckryder - I was wondering if the car is ever short tripped and how often. I. E., the coolant gets to temperature but the oil in the sump does not get hot enough and long enough to boil off condensation. I think this may show up in the UOA. Also, the temperatures in Atlanta are generally good but there are good opportunities for freezing cold starts.

According to data from NOAA, “Overall, freezing temperatures happen during 36 nights a year on average, from November to March. Twice annually, the temperature in Atlanta doesn't make it above freezing all day.”

Synthetic fibers are very resistant to water, fuel and oil. However, when M1 0w40 is mixed with a little water, what is the effective viscosity below 32F? I don’t have a clue. I think this maybe one of many reasons why we see wavy pleats in so few miles.

So, we wait for the UOA and continue the discussion.

Regards.

Last edited:
Duckryder - I was wondering if the car is ever short tripped and how often. I. E., the coolant gets to temperature but the oil in the sump does not get hot enough and long enough to boil off condensation. I think this may show up in the UOA. Also, the temperatures in Atlanta are generally good but there are good opportunities for freezing cold starts.

According to data from NOAA, “Overall, freezing temperatures happen during 36 nights a year on average, from November to March. Twice annually, the temperature in Atlanta doesn't make it above freezing all day.”

Synthetic fibers are very resistant to water, fuel and oil. However, when M1 0w40 is mixed with a little water, what is the effective viscosity below 32F? I don’t have a clue. I think this maybe one of many reasons why we see wavy pleats in so few miles.

So, we wait for the UOA and continue the discussion.

Regards.

Used Oil Analysis Mobil 1 0W-40, 5729mi, 96 Acura 3.5RL, 174,643mi

So here is the UOA. Be sure to look at miles on oil, because it has been sampled without changing at least once. All samples are M1, the last one was 0/40 as well, the others are probably all 5/30 HM or EP.

I’d be quite surprised if it failed to reach operating temperature more than 3 or 4 times per interval.

Frankly, I don’t think we are going to find an explanation for the waviness other than that is how M+H put it together. I would think that wire backed media would tend to retain the as manufactured shape, but I am willing to listen.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Frankly, I don’t think we are going to find an explanation for the waviness other than that is how M+H put it together. I would think that wire backed media would tend to retain the as manufactured shape, but I am willing to listen.

Probably because the wire backing isn't that stout, and will still deform with enough delta-p across wide pleat spaces.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Probably because the wire backing isn't that stout, and will still deform with enough delta-p across wide pleat spaces.

DuckRyder - The UOA looks good to me. All the properties are where they should be. Definitely not what I was anticipating. This leads me to believe the filter is just not that strong. This is delta-p doing it's work on the filter as it was manufactured.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back