[Cut Open] HAMP H1540-RTA-505 - 5743mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Excepting can color, imo looks identical to the Honda A01.

Thanks for c&p.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by PimTac
I've used that design of filter for decades and never had any gouging of the mount. In fact, I never bottomed the filter like that. I just hand tightened snugly. Never a leak.

If you don't bottom out the can of course there's no metal-to-metal contact. If you torque the filter to factory spec, the can will hit the seat and turn a little more after contact.

It could be that in my prior vehicles the mount was steel and not aluminium.

I've never torqued a filter with a torque wrench. Just tighten as much as possible with one hand. That has worked for over 45 years.

I apologize for the quotes. I hear we are not supposed to do that anymore.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I don't even know what to say about this...

Not much left to say … thanks for C&P …

In the filter mount shown, what exactly is the damage? It's not clear. Once the filter metal touches metal it can't move much.

Originally Posted by kschachn
If you always use the OEM filter it won't ever leak because the gouge area is always outside the P-ring contact area. But if you use an aftermarket filter down the road it's possible the base gasket might be over the gouge area.

I have to say that even after 20 years and nearly 420,000 miles on my Sienna there is no "gouge mark" on the aluminum mount. For one thing when the filter can makes contact it pretty much stops dead, you're not dragging it along gouging out aluminum. Next oil change I'll try and remember to take a picture for you. I looked it up in my Excel spreadsheet and I've changed oil on the vehicle 63 times, not all were the Denso/Toyota filters of course but a majority were.

My Tacoma 4.0L V6 filter mount ... clearly score marks all the way around the filter mount from the OEM filter bottoming out. Apparently YMMV on this.

[Linked Image]

Is it the line all the way around or the 6 scuff marks further in you are talking about? it isn't clear from description. If the line all around is a score that is really damage. Interesting mount for a full flow filter, looks maybe replaceable.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Originally Posted by kschachn
If you always use the OEM filter it won't ever leak because the gouge area is always outside the P-ring contact area. But if you use an aftermarket filter down the road it's possible the base gasket might be over the gouge area.

I have to say that even after 20 years and nearly 420,000 miles on my Sienna there is no "gouge mark" on the aluminum mount. For one thing when the filter can makes contact it pretty much stops dead, you're not dragging it along gouging out aluminum. Next oil change I'll try and remember to take a picture for you. I looked it up in my Excel spreadsheet and I've changed oil on the vehicle 63 times, not all were the Denso/Toyota filters of course but a majority were.

My Tacoma 4.0L V6 filter mount ... clearly score marks all the way around the filter mount from the OEM filter bottoming out. Apparently YMMV on this.

[Linked Image]

Is it the line all the way around or the 6 scuff marks further in you are talking about? it isn't clear from description. If the line all around is a score that is really damage. Interesting mount for a full flow filter, looks maybe replaceable.

I'm taking about the score line all the way around. The 6 slight scuff marks might be from filter contact also. The filter mount is water cooled (in/out coolant lines on left) to cool the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back