CTEK + Odyssey = New Charger

Too bad they don't publish the algorithm used in their chargers. Or IP rating. Also if the lowest amp version (5amp) has an SAE plug (or not) to use with ring mounts for long term maintanence charging. Clamps are required for higher amp charging, but SAE plugs increase connection options.

Too bad they don't publish the algorithm used in their chargers. Or IP rating. Also if the lowest amp version (5amp) has an SAE plug (or not) to use with ring mounts for long term maintanence charging. Clamps are required for higher amp charging, but SAE plugs increase connection options.
Maybe more details will arrive later. I don't see the chargers available for sale yet on Odyssey's website.

From the blurry photos it does not look like the 25A charger will have a cooling fan.

Maybe more details will arrive later. I don't see the chargers available for sale yet on Odyssey's website.

From the blurry photos it does not look like the 25A charger will have a cooling fan.
Me thinks these are all being manufactured by Ctek
The cases sure look similar.

The CTEK PRO25S ($565 ! ) looks very similar to the upcoming Odyssey 25A charger. Don't see a cooling fan. The temperature sensor is in the battery clamp. I would expect the Odyssey version to have a unique charging algorithm optimized for TPPL batteries. At the very least, charging at 14.7V and float at 13.6V instead of 14.4V and 13.0V.

Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 11.34.46 AM.jpg

Last edited:
At the end of the day an Odyssey battery is too expensive for most to consider. It's roughly 2X the cost of a East Penn AGM I could get at Walmart or NAPA. And the warranty is not 2X.

My truck takes two batteries and my boat takes three batteries. That would add up quickly.

At the end of the day an Odyssey battery is too expensive for most to consider. It's roughly 2X the cost of a East Penn AGM I could get at Walmart or NAPA. And the warranty is not 2X.

My truck takes two batteries and my boat takes three batteries. That would add up quickly.
One thing going for them, is that Odyssey is the only brand I see in Consumer Reports testing that is consistently at the top. Pretty much all other brands are mixed. They might excel in one size, then middling or even at the bottom in another size.

My BMW also takes two batteries, an H8 and H5, but I would seriously consider Odyssey when the time comes.

I had one several years ago and it was great. I refused to pay what they were asking and at the time were private labeling the Sears Platinum AGM batteries, and got it for only $160 or so. That ended a long time ago...no idea if Odyssey private labels to any other retailers.

Back