Cringing... Dodge Ram Factory Fill (Lots of miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude

That's a waste of perfectly good oil!

Send me your address, I'll mail it to you.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: dishdude

That's a waste of perfectly good oil!

Send me your address, I'll mail it to you.
lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I put 8k on the FF in both cars in my sig.

Why would he change it early?

Consider the number of cars on the road vs the number of Bitog members, and clearly an early drain is not necessary unless specified by the manufacturer.

It's not your truck or your business.

We quit doing early changes on our fleet trucks years ago.

The results? Sold an 04 3500 van with over 500k miles on the original engine. No leaks, no smoke, no usage.

Not trying to say this is typical, just that leaving the FF in place won't hurt a thing....

To BITOG's dismay, the owner of that Ram is the norm and we are the exception. His truck will most likely last a long, long time.

Even if Dodge were to recalibrate their OLM because maybe it was too long, 99.xxx% of those who ran their vehicles out to the previous calibration prior to the change would have had nary an issue.

I understand your cringe sentiment though.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Strange and strange - I can forecast my new Chevy to not even make 7500 miles on first fill* ... previous vehicles OLM got me somewhere thereabouts …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Strange and strange - I can forecast my new Chevy to not even make 7500 miles on first fill* ... previous vehicles OLM got me somewhere thereabouts …

Yeah I’ve noticed my 2017 Silverado 5.3 has a pretty short OCI according to the OLM (as far as OLMs go). I suspect it’s due to AFM and how important it is those lifters get good, clean oil.

I have always changed the FF in my new cars early but since coming to BITOG I've inched it up from 1000 miles (on my 1977 Colt) to 3000 miles on my latest new cars.
It doesn't seem to matter from what I see on BITOG.....I think it mattered more years ago when manufacturing techniques weren't as good.
I'll probably always changed FF early but I'm not as anal about it as I used to be.

PS: Look at the difference in NOACK between Valvoline Synthetic 0w20 and 5w20....11.1 vs. 7.6....maybe Ford is right about me running 5w20 in my DI Focus. I'm surprised their new 0w16 has a higher NOACK than their 0w20.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

Originally Posted By: StevieC

But it's doing nothing to extend it's life as far as possible like we all want.
wink.gif

How many of us buy a car and personally keep it over 250k miles? Maybe 1%? I'd bet that the engine failure rates due to oil issues while following specs and OLMs is a fraction of that 1% during that 250k miles. Most engine failures are not caused by oil... it's caused by lack of maintenance, coolant loss, not checking oil level, etc. Most cars will be traded off because they're rusty, suffer transmission failures, accidents, or that you're just plain ready for a new one. In other words, I'd be willing to bet a styrofoam box of meat from Omaha Steaks that the failure rate of oil-change-mileage-related engine failures before 250k is probably on the factor of about 0.01% (1/10,000 engines) if not even smaller. The engine failures there are that do not meet these criteria are most likely a manufacturing defect and are still not traceable to the oil.

In typical fashion here, we're making mountains out of molehills.

It seems interesting to me that the only engine issue we attribute to oil is complete engine failure. Often we pass off discussions about oil by saying "show me all the ruined engines because of doing 'X' and not 'Y'", but in so many of today's engines, oil quality and cleanliness seem to be paramount to long-term health of CVVT and VANOS systems, timing chains, turbos, etc. I'm not saying that following OEM specs and OLMs will lead to failures of these systems, but it is possible that blindly following directions instead of being proactive could lead to future failures in any of the aforementioned (and those not mentioned) systems.

Part of me is skeptical of the OLM doing exactly what StevieC said...just get you out of the warranty. But look at how much longer vehicles last in the past 20 years than they did back 50 years ago. It's amazing, so if they were going to do this extreme planned obsolescence, why now? I think manufacturers even want their used vehicles to be coveted, if no one wants to buy them used, resale values will be awful and people won't want to buy them new.

I totally get the skepticism but I think that would really be cutting their noses off to spite their faces.

Not true. I have a bunch of family and friends that religiously maintain their vehicles. All of them are leasing. It's like anything in life - you have those that take care of things and those that don't.

New '17 Ram owner here...still on factory fill at 1064 miles, have had the truck 2 months.

OLM is tracking for about 7K mile OCI (14% used at about 1000 miles).

Im not sure how the OLM works in this truck, but it definitely doesn't seem mileage or time based. I started a thread about when I should dump the ff and got various opinions...I might run it until 2K miles or so, then use a free oil change at the dealer. Then in the summer Ill change it myself at whatever mileage its at, then go for a 6 month or 1 year OCI from then on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back