Credit card auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found out that my 2 major credit cards ( CITI and Master Cards) are dropping the Supplemental renter car insurance benifit. I usually don't take the car renters exceptionally costly rental insurance and instead use my credit card. I am willing to pay the $500 or $1,000 deductible if I am ever in a rental car accident. Does anyone have knowledge of a No fee card that still has the rental car sentimental insurance benefit? As a second note: Don't assume you are covered until you call and confirm with your credit card company. Ed

Last edited:
I don't know about your automotive insurance, but mine (USAA) covers rental cars automatically, as long as I'm the driver. You might check and see if yours does too.

I wonder if only certain CITI cards are dropping and others are lessening the benefit. We just got the citi card through Costco mostly due to no FTE's. Of course I bought the rental insurance from Avis last time and didn't need it. Nothing is on their website yet for our card. Not really a deal breaker with us but would be nice. Statefarm will only match your current insurance and we only have liability.

CITI card and MASTER Card are dropping the supplemental auto insurance benefit this September. I just called both today and received that information. Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
I just found out that my 2 major credit cards ( CITI and Master Cards) are dropping the Supplemental renter car insurance benifit. I usually don't take the car renters exceptionally costly rental insurance and instead use my credit card. I am willing to pay the $500 or $1,000 deductible if I am ever in a rental car accident. Does anyone have knowledge of a No fee card that still has the rental car sentimental insurance benefit? As a second note: Don't assume you are covered until you call and confirm with your credit card company. Ed

I added it my State Farm auto policy for very little cost.

I wonder if this is in part due to some of the car rental companies pulling the damage scams? Enterprise is well known for this and I got caught up in it a couple of years ago.

They say it's more like Citi trying to cut costs after they won the Costco business. Chase still has a bunch of cards that offer CDW, some of them have primary coverage, but the no fee cards are just secondary coverage. I used to like Amex's coverage, I used to get a free one from Fidelity but got rid of it after Fidelity stopped offering it. My Fidelity Visa also offers it, they have 2% cash back on every purchase. One of these days I might play with Chase's Sapphire preferred, $95 a year, but comes with a 60k points which they claim is worth $750 toward travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back