Crazy for thinking about a key programmer?

New used vehicle came with 1 FOB. 2020 Nissan Armada. Also have a 2018 Corolla iM with only 1 FOB. Am I crazy for thinking a scanner / programmer is the smart move going forward? Have always just had Bluetooth modules for my scanning purposes.

Thinking something in the 500 range makes it a wash and I have a scanner for me and my son (teenage future mechanic)

Smart move or asking for trouble?

I got this Xhorse model a year ago to do one VW key cheaper than the dealer would.

The tech you buy will be frozen in time, so obsolete in ten years.

My dad has half a dozen dwell meters in his basement. He keeps buying them at yard sales. Losing his marbles.

Might still be worth it, but I'd resell it on ebay when you've done what you need, in essence, renting it.

I got this Xhorse model a year ago to do one VW key cheaper than the dealer would.

I'll have to look into this. My son's 2011 GTI has one key and it's falling apart. The dealers want between $285 and $400 for the key and programming so this may be a cheaper option. I just know nothing about key programming. Yet.

Tech always expires but that’s expected. I don’t mind helping others out if they need it so having the tool in the chest is always a good thing in my book.

I don’t think the above will work for the armada. Looks like I need something with a bit more access to the immobilized since all the keys need to be removed and reprogrammed at once.

I wish I could rent one but doesn’t look like an option. Plus I could replace my flaky Bluetooth dongle for obd with something flashier

With Apple pushing the OEMs to use UWB keys and Tesla using NFC, key programmers might be a thing of the past in the 5 years but still indispensable for the locksmith or mechanic/DIYer who nerds out with locks. Some cars will let you add a new key, others want all the old keys deleted and added back in.

With that said, the OEMs - mostly due to the Kia Boyz and man-in-middle attacks on RFID fobs(but it does take a crooked tech as well) want to restrict security-related into to dealership techs and certified locksmiths and restrict what can be programmed(OE vs. aftermarket keys/fobs).

New used vehicle came with 1 FOB. 2020 Nissan Armada. Also have a 2018 Corolla iM with only 1 FOB. Am I crazy for thinking a scanner / programmer is the smart move going forward? Have always just had Bluetooth modules for my scanning purposes.

Thinking something in the 500 range makes it a wash and I have a scanner for me and my son (teenage future mechanic)

Smart move or asking for trouble?
If you want a good OBD scanner with key programming capability then check XTool D7, check with XTool Support first whether it can program a blank key for your truck and car.

Stupid question - how do you program the key. I thought this required some special locksmith or dealer security code? Can I just erase the chip code in the ECU and add a new one in?

A few years a go, I bought a used key from Ebay and had a guy I googled to program my 2nd key. He used the D7 as well as my master key. $75 charge and I think it was Mr. Speedy Locksmith (don't remember). I believe you definitely need to have the master key or your original key. I bought a D8 a year later but I have not even have to use it yet. I need a guinea pig for my D8 useage.

very quick google-foo returned this:

1679002312327.jpg

Yup xtool is on the list. The Toyota appears to be easier with the H key but. The armada requires the immobilizer to remove all keys and re add them.

Back