Crawfish Season Is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Awesome! I love crawdads. Like most things, I imagine fresh ones are better than frozen? We have two Asian restaurants up here that have crawdads on their $9.00 all-you-can-eat buffet (ya, I know...a sacrilege). I can eat 5 or more mounded up plate fulls easily. Gonna have to try the head sucking thing.

In the original post, when you talk about "biz", is this a buy/boil/sell business with farm raised morsels, or are you talking about a wild caught crayfish business?

I always thought those were raw.

Folks tear up raw oysters all over the various coastal regions ... best in winter in the southern US .... but crawfish a bit later ... Texas coastal seafood is similar ... fresh & salty ... but crawfish are mostly farmed here. A guy/wife farms, purges, and cooks/serves them 5 miles from me ... bring Chapstick

I just watched this educational Youtube video about the Southern Crayfish Aquaculture industry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAufhGUvCjA

It states that imported Chinese product has impacted the southern U.S. industry pretty hard, especially the processing plants. I bet the stuff I get at the local Asian buffet is the China stuff - hmmmmmm. Since they are bottom feeders to start out with, who knows what China is exporting. Sigh.

I'll have to add a Louisiana crayfish expedition to my bucket list. Maybe when I do my first spring break!

I have tried them and will pass. Give me some jumbo shrimp. I love a shrimp boil.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I just watched this educational Youtube video about the Southern Crayfish Aquaculture industry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAufhGUvCjA

It states that imported Chinese product has impacted the southern U.S. industry pretty hard, especially the processing plants. I bet the stuff I get at the local Asian buffet is the China stuff - hmmmmmm. Since they are bottom feeders to start out with, who knows what China is exporting. Sigh.

I'll have to add a Louisiana crayfish expedition to my bucket list. Maybe when I do my first spring break!

This man, J.BERNARD, lives about 6 miles from me. He has the largest crawfish import/export business in the state of La. His main processing plant is about a mile from his house. His store and restaurant are right up the road from his crawfish warehouse. All of this resides in Cottonport, La. He practically owns Cottonport. And, get this; he started crawfish ponds in China. Yep, he owns about 95% of the Chinese crawfish ponds. He also has seafood plants all over La.
http://www.jbernardseafood.com/index.html

I enjoyed living in SE Louisiana (St. James Parish) from 2005 until 2012. My favorite ways to eat crawfiwh are fried tajlsor etouffe. Everything else is too much work for the yield compared to shrimp, which I grew up buying so fresh they were still kicking in South Texas Gulf Coast.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Love dem Mud Bugs! Best with corn and new potatoes.

New potatoes?
21.gif

We use small red potatoes here in Cajun Country. But, I am ALWAYS open to trying something new. Please, do share.

Haha. From the Cambridge dictionary: New Potatoes: Small potatoes that are taken from the ground earlier than the rest of the crop. However, have you tried Parairie Oysters?

But seriously, Really like crawfish. The boys from the La Schlumberger office would fly them up the Calgary once a year for a boil.
smile.gif

Love dem Mud Bugs! Best with corn and new potatoes.

New potatoes?
21.gif

We use small red potatoes here in Cajun Country. But, I am ALWAYS open to trying something new. Please, do share.

Haha. From the Cambridge dictionary: New Potatoes: Small potatoes that are taken from the ground earlier than the rest of the crop. However, have you tried Parairie Oysters?

But seriously, Really like crawfish. The boys from the La Schlumberger office would fly them up the Calgary once a year for a boil.
smile.gif

The new potatoes have a sweeter and a better flavor then the small reds.
Try it. DO NOT OVER COOK!

Cajun restaurant here on Long Island makes a pan fried catfish dish served over rice and crawfish tails in a white wine sauce. Totally killer. Seeing crawfish makes me want it.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Cajun restaurant here on Long Island makes a pan fried catfish dish served over rice and crawfish tails in a white wine sauce. Totally killer. Seeing crawfish makes me want it.

OMG! I want that recipe!
20.gif

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

OMG! I want that recipe!
20.gif

I believe I have it. I'll check and get back to you.

My birthday was this past Monday. My son is coming to visit me this weekend. He's taking me to my favorite cajun restaurant in Opelousas, La. Sunday. I'm going to have the ALL YOU CAN EAT crawfish!
AIYEEEEEEEEEEEE! C'est Si Bon, mon sha'!

Originally Posted By: car51
I knew you said your birthday was this past Monday reading your above post
grin2.gif
10.gif

Yep, you're correct. I did state it was that past Monday. But, did you read the date of that post?
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back