Craftsman GT, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. Anybody have thoughts or experience with a Craftsman GT with a 24hp Kohler V-Twin and a 50" deck? It's an older one with a rounded green, vented hood. I don't have more details than that, but let me know if you think that this is a good buy. I work as a small engine repair tech so I figure that I can get it running well unless there are catastrophically expensive parts. It looks burly, but I just wanted your opinions!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/grd/5852776842.html

Last edited:
They've got strong frames and decent steering and front end components. They are a little cramped for space at the controls if you're a bigger guy. This one looks to be fender shift hydrostatic drive. Likely a HydroGear hydro drive. Kohler command V-twin engine. Looks to be a 1990s to maybe early 2000s model year judging by the exhaust. I don't care for the cut quality of that vintage 48-50" deck, but I'm sure opinions will differ on that.

We've settled on $290
cool.gif
. I'm not a big guy so it sounds like it would fit me well. Any reports on how the transmission holds up? I'll be dragging logs and stuff around my property... How about some fun modifications or relatively cheap attachments? I'll probably look for a lawn sweeper attachment first, but what else would you do with your machine?

Last edited:
You'll have to peek under to see what transaxle it has, but like said, it's most likely made by HydroGear. It could even have a spin-on filter for the trans. Some of this vintage had them. Some great sites that have excellent Craftsman info are MyTractorForum and TractorByNet.

If it runs and operates properly it is worth the money. For heavy towing and hauling I would prefer an old gear drive IH built Cub Cadet or a 200-216 John Deere.

I used one of those for years, sold it to a friends dad, and as far as I know it's still going. I bought it new in 2000. The only thing that bugged me was the plastic bushings in the steering gear got sloppy. Replacing them with bronze would make a good winter project.

If you got to have a Craftsman, the 5 and 6,000 series are the ones to have. I'll stick with my John Deere 210 and 212. 1978 and 1982 respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back