coyotes in suburbia

Status
Not open for further replies.
CCI makes a .22 round that fires at about 750 fps and fragments into three pieces when it hits. It is DEADLY on small game and I am sure a well placed shot into the side of a coyote would bring about his demise. The beauty of these rounds is that when I fire them from my .22 rifle, it sounds about like me clapping my hands together. Ideal for the suburban neighborhood. Ask at your local gun store.

Live and let live. I have made my property a sanctuary where wildlife are welcome and safe. They enrich my life experience.

One of these pet dogs will take a pack of wolves on and win, first it kills the Alpha then the next, they take bears on and have pit bills for mid meal snacks.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Live and let live. I have made my property a sanctuary where wildlife are welcome and safe. They enrich my life experience.

Yeah, doesn't take long for these types of post to bring out the red necks bragging about how best to brutalize and kill a trapped animal who's only crime was trying find enough food to live another day.

Big healthy ones in Fairfax cty in Northern Va.aka: the Swamp. 30 miles from DC with multi-lane roads all around and heavy traffic. Animal control won't do anything.

Trav. what kinda dog is that? TIA Coyotes expanded eastward and changed into a different looking coyote. Some say there is feral dog genes mixed in. Yah they have adapted well to people who don't hunt them. Many critters have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Trav. what kinda dog is that? TIA Coyotes expanded eastward and changed into a different looking coyote. Some say there is feral dog genes mixed in. Yah they have adapted well to people who don't hunt them. Many critters have.

Judging by the shadow (or lack thereof), I think the breed might be a "Photoshopped".

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
We keep getting emailed notices from our HOA that coyotes have been eating neighborhood cats. We hear them sometimes but haven't seen one yet. We have more and more deer too...they are a menace at dawn and dusk.

I wonder how one would go about culling the coyote herd without running afoul of the law...

The coyotes could be seen as a benefit to the local songbird population. If people keep the cats indoors, they won't kill the birds.

I wonder if coyotes might also help with the deer population. Cars are probably the whitetail's #1 predator these days, and vice versa depending on where you live.

People got rid of mountain lions and wolves. Thus we have coyotes and too many deer.

I think a smart cat can avoid coyotes assuming the cat makes it through the first year.

My cat goes out in warm weather and stays out for a day or two. We hear coyotes close from time to time.

He is a smart cat. Maybe 10 yes old.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I'm not quite sure how my dogs would fare with a pack of coyotes...the boys could likely take out one, either kill it or at least run it off, but a pack could probably kill my dogs. The 1 year old is 80 lbs, give or take and the 6 month old one is about 65 lbs, so they are decent-sized but not huge.

Depends upon the breed of dog.
A single Great Pyrenees would take on a pack of coyotes and would prevail, since after he took the first one the others would run off as is their nature. They would also find it difficult to get hold of a Pyr since their coats are thick enough that they it's really hard to actually bite into the dog. A dog bred to protect sheep from wolves is unlikely to find much fight in a pack of coyotes.
Like most animals, coyotes will run from any determined defender and will move on to softer targets, so your dogs would likely just run them off to easier sites.
I find all of the professed concern about some wildlife being present in an area first a bit touching, since most of the areas in North America of which we speak had actual Asian immigrants (often incorrectly called "Native Americans") already present and our forefathers had no compunctions about running them off or exterminating them.

Coyotes here too, we've had lone ones in our back yard sometimes despite our 6'+ perimeter fence when our three dogs have been inside. Have had bobcat in the yard too, along with usual varmints like squirrels, raccoons, possums, armadillos, rabbits, etc. Also have ring tail cats in the area seen one crossing our street at night but haven't seen one in our yard yet. Plenty of deer. One neighbor reported catching a puma on her security cam 4 houses down from us. Our side of the street backs up to a 600 acre working ranch. Do far no culling except what the local roadways take, we're inside city limits.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

My opinion about coyotes if very prejudiced because of Dolly and a life spent living here. She has a very strong personality but is also very affectionate. A few months ago she brought me my very own dead gopher. She dropped it in my lap while I was sitting at my desk. Her face, head, and front legs were covered in grass and dirt and she was panting. How could one turn down a gift from the heart?

I don't believe in wiping out coyotes and I think if a solution is needed that it's going to be difficult and time-consuming and very unpopular no matter what it might be.

How big is Dolly? As coyotes have come eastward they've been getting bigger and becoming more of a pack animal. The male I shot was 45lbs and the female 35lbs with a big set of chompers! Both I got at 30 yrds from the house so those ones needed to go. Most of them stay well away from the house and I don't mind them in the woods, and we've got our dogs in with the goats, so the coyotes have always looked for easier meals. They have killed a young deer here too, working as pack like wolves by driving the deer into an ambush where it fell and never got up.
My opinion is that if they make themselves easy to shoot then do it. Eastern coyotes are too big, smart, and capable, and if they get too comfortable around people, small or weak people have and will become prey.

The news here reported a few days ago that a 3 year old girl was attacked by a Coyote while walking by her home - she didn't get hurt too badly, just got a small cut on her shoulder. They are pretty aggressive for their size.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

My opinion about coyotes if very prejudiced because of Dolly and a life spent living here. She has a very strong personality but is also very affectionate. A few months ago she brought me my very own dead gopher. She dropped it in my lap while I was sitting at my desk. Her face, head, and front legs were covered in grass and dirt and she was panting. How could one turn down a gift from the heart?

I don't believe in wiping out coyotes and I think if a solution is needed that it's going to be difficult and time-consuming and very unpopular no matter what it might be.

How big is Dolly? As coyotes have come eastward they've been getting bigger and becoming more of a pack animal. The male I shot was 45lbs and the female 35lbs with a big set of chompers! Both I got at 30 yrds from the house so those ones needed to go. Most of them stay well away from the house and I don't mind them in the woods, and we've got our dogs in with the goats, so the coyotes have always looked for easier meals. They have killed a young deer here too, working as pack like wolves by driving the deer into an ambush where it fell and never got up.
My opinion is that if they make themselves easy to shoot then do it. Eastern coyotes are too big, smart, and capable, and if they get too comfortable around people, small or weak people have and will become prey.

How big is Dolly? 45-50 pounds.

Around here they live in packs. Saying one big dog could defeat a pack of coyotes is difficult to predict. There's a game they play here when they are near residential housing. A female in season will attract the attention of a big dog. She runs, the dog chases. As the dog gets tired something interesting happens. The female disappears and a yearling appears that is strong and fit like no domestic god. He runs like the wind and knows every bump in the trail. He's brave and immortal like a teenager. The big monster starts to run out of gas like he's never done before. Another yearling appears and soon the domestic down is done, all in. The pack surrounds him and they take away his hind legs. Then they just eat him.

This happened to a pit bull that was really a monster. It was discovered later that he was a trained fighter out walking with his trainer. The pack didn't fight him. They ate him instead. I was asked by the Sheriff to take Toby out and find out what happened. I found a spiked collar, fur, bones and misc dog pieces. It appeared that no coyote was hurt during the meal.

This kind of dog mismatch happens every now and then. Dachshunds were bred to go down badger holes and kill a badger. A badger is one tough opponent. Everyone usually thinks of them as little old ladies dogs. At an off-leash dog park in San Diego, a pit bull attacked a dachshund and the result wasn't exactly a fight. The dachshund killed the pit bull so quickly that if you blinked you missed it. The dachshund got under the chin and into the neck and thrashed around shaking the pit bull's head back and forth. It was like the dachshund was on speed. I've never seen a dog expend so much energy is such a short period of time. The bigger pit bull never had a chance. Then the dachshund sat down as if nothing happened. The whole area was silent in shock. The body of the pit bull looked like it was one more shake from being decapitated.

Around here we have bobcats, coyotes, fishers, fox, black bears, and apparently mountain lions. I've never seen the mountain lions but a neighbor did, and one was hit by a car in the next town over.

The coyotes I've seen have been surprisingly large and very well fed. They were not scared of me at all either. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting young kids walk down my road especially at night with some of the wildlife I have seen. The key is not to feed them. We have two people on the street with chickens, and another neighbor feeds the deer. They will always go where there is a food source, which unfortunately makes them more comfortable with people.

Frankly, in suburbia I'm happy to have the coyotes around to keep some of the smaller stuff in check. Whenever we see the coyotes a few times its always amazing how that is followed by a comment that there haven't been as many rabbits lately. I welcome the fox, coyotes and bats since they all eat annoying stuff like rabbits, mice, and mosquitos...

And if it means coyotes eat someones cat who gets let loose or a small dog, oh well. They've got every bit as much reason to be here as me. Makes life easier on the nesting birds too...

I don't feel a compelling need to shoot an animal just because its near my home. My grandfather subscribed to that theory. He's been gone over 10 years now, and there have been zero issues with animals afterwards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back