Could you live "off the grid"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: das_peikko

Living off the grid means the government doesn't know where you're at. If you have an internet connection, they'll know where you're at.

Paranoid much?

My home(1911) is according to definition was off grid till 1949 when electricity came in. Before it had gas lights and some sort of stream heating system. The water was a dug well with insanely a cistern only 30’ away for sewer.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: das_peikko

Living off the grid means the government doesn't know where you're at. If you have an internet connection, they'll know where you're at.

Paranoid much?

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I guess living off the grid can be fairly normal or roughing it. It depends on the person and what they are willing to do or give up.

You don't have to live in the boonies to be off the grid but often that is what comes to my mind.

Guys,
can we skip the technicalities of solar or not and also concentrate on smaller details?

like:
-clothes needed
-tools, big and small
-camping roughed kitchen
-vehicle? I would guess simple, tall, AWD ,low yearly miles, sit a lot?
-type of house: I would think well insulated, probably from local materials: clay would have to be protected from water; i guess multiple layers of stucco with heat/cool retention and as much natural ventilation?
-number of regular trips to "town" and for what: health-check, food, more tools, etc
-do you really need power/electricity?

What do you say guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back