Costco's Kirlkland 15w40 @ 16k mi / Volvo VNL780 with D13 engine @ 611k mi

Took one for the team and run Costco's 15w40 in a Volvo VNL780, with D13 engine for 16k miles then did a UOA
the engine has a factory bypass filter and two full flow filters, the Costco oil was used with Volvo's long life filters.

The results to the right are from a previous sample from the oil that came with the truck when I bought it and had Baldwin filters on, by looking at the maintenance records this oil has been in the engine for 55k miles, which is ridiculous and most likely resulted in unnecessary cam wear judging by the elevated iron levels.
The air filter was two years old, the maximum allowable by Volvo, which could be the source for the silicon in both samples.

I just did another oil change with the Costco oil along with Volvo oil filters and a new air filter, I will run it for 15k miles and do another sample, it's already at 4k miles.

Screenshot from 2021-07-14 16-49-27.jpg

Attachments

• Costco-oil.pdf
    166 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
The results to the right are from a previous sample from the oil that came with the truck when I bought it and had Baldwin filters on, by looking at the maintenance records this oil has been in the engine for 55k miles, which is ridiculous and most likely resulted in unnecessary cam wear judging by the elevated iron levels.
Volvo's standard OCI for VDS-4.5 approved oils is 55,000miles, although that's assuming on highway miles with rather low idle time and the appropriate filters. You should probably run longer than 15k this time.

Additive package was a bit disappointing, it completely lacks Boron and Barium, and low on Moly, this would most likely make me look at other oils.

Speaking about Boron, I have about two pounds of this slippery white powder in the Hexagonal form HbN, I had it left over from some projects in the past and thought of adding it to this Costco oil, so I mixed about 1200 ppm with this oil and did an oil change on a Yanmar air cooled diesel running a military generator, I will do an oil sample at about 100 hours, I hope the boron will boost the performance.

Boron Nitride is not cheap at all and I believe it's reason why oil manufacturers are cheaping out on it, and instead go for the less expensive Phosphorus.

Volvo's standard OCI for VDS-4.5 approved oils is 55,000miles, although that's assuming on highway miles with rather low idle time and the appropriate filters. You should probably run longer than 15k this time.
Correct, assuming conditions are perfect, but this was a California truck based out of LA running CA, NE, AZ which means heat and dust and steep hills out of LA before I bought it and brought to the east coast.
I wouldn't run 55k OCI in those conditions or any condition, I believe those long OCIs are to please the EPA.

Here is the UOA of that unidentified oil

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-07-14 16-49-05.jpg
    Screenshot from 2021-07-14 16-49-05.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 44
Correct, assuming conditions are perfect, but this was a California truck based out of LA running CA, NE, AZ which means heat and dust and steep hills out of LA before I bought it and brought to the east coast.
I wouldn't run 55k OCI in those conditions or any condition, I believe those long OCIs are to please the EPA.

Here is the UOA of that unidentified oil
But even then the severe interval is like 750hours or 30,000mi, base on the VOA here, there appears to have been plenty of additive left, 25-30k would probably be a better interval to shoot for than 15k, unless you really just like dumping 10 gallons of oil that's got plenty of life left in it.

But even then the severe interval is like 750hours or 30,000mi, base on the VOA here, there appears to have been plenty of additive left, 25-30k would probably be a better interval to shoot for than 15k, unless you really just like dumping 10 gallons of oil that's got plenty of life left in it.
Yes 25k-30k seems reasonable, especially with quality filters and for the conditions that the truck is running in now, mainly light loads and good clean air, but 55k I wouldn't chance it.

Additive package was a bit disappointing, it completely lacks Boron and Barium, and low on Moly, this would most likely make me look at other oils.

Speaking about Boron, I have about two pounds of this slippery white powder in the Hexagonal form HbN, I had it left over from some projects in the past and thought of adding it to this Costco oil, so I mixed about 1200 ppm with this oil and did an oil change on a Yanmar air cooled diesel running a military generator, I will do an oil sample at about 100 hours, I hope the boron will boost the performance.

Boron Nitride is not cheap at all and I believe it's reason why oil manufacturers are cheaping out on it, and instead go for the less expensive Phosphorus.
You're an oil formulator?

The idea of adding a solid to an already fully formulated oil isn't an amateur endeavor. How will it "boost" the performance and how will you tell?

The idea of adding a solid to an already fully formulated oil isn't an amateur endeavor.
Agreed. When talking to the chemists in HPLs lab about how tricky it can be to formulate lubricants, it is very clear to me that I will never play formulator with any lubricant. Additive clash is real and they had many real world examples they they have seen in the lab with components that should have worked well together, but caused problems like copious foam and increased wear.

You're an oil formulator?

The idea of adding a solid to an already fully formulated oil isn't an amateur endeavor. How will it "boost" the performance and how will you tell?
First of all, I'm running it in a small single cylinder diesel running a generator, so just a test and proof of concept so no hard feelings if doesn't work.

Secondly HbN is a dry lubricant that is used as standalone lubricant in many industries, mainly manufacturing, or as a thermal transfer medium due to its exceptional heat conduction properties, or as a filler and carrier in makeup, aside from being an additive in many brands of motor oil.

And third, there are many ways of telling if it actually worked and "boosted' the performance, mainly the noise level of the noisy small engine, the reduced operating temperature which directly translates to reduced friction, and last but not least oil samples to see if there are any wear patterns.

First of all, I'm running it in a small single cylinder diesel running a generator, so just a test and proof of concept so no hard feelings if doesn't work.

Secondly HbN is a dry lubricant that is used as standalone lubricant in many industries, mainly manufacturing, or as a thermal transfer medium due to its exceptional heat conduction properties, or as a filler and carrier in makeup, aside from being an additive in many brands of motor oil.

And third, there are many ways of telling if it actually worked and "boosted' the performance, mainly the noise level of the noisy small engine, the reduced operating temperature which directly translates to reduced friction, and last but not least oil samples to see if there are any wear patterns.
That's good the solid lubricant is used in many industries. Which brands of motor oil use this solid as an additive?

And I see, noise level. But "oil samples" show wear patterns?

Okay enough of hijacking this thread and let's get back to the main topic; 👉 Kirkland 15w40 HD motor oil

Okay enough of hijacking this thread and let's get back to the main topic; 👉 Kirkland 15w40 HD motor oil
Hijacking? It is all discussion related to your post, what part is deviating? Why wouldn't you want to discuss your intentions if that's part of what you posted?

I'm starting to wonder here. Which "many brands of motor oil" contain the additive again? That's something else you posted.

Actually looks pretty good. Delo 400LE is probably a decent choice if you're looking for boron.

Hijacking? It is all discussion related to your post, what part is deviating? Why wouldn't you want to discuss your intentions if that's part of what you posted?

I'm starting to wonder here. Which "many brands of motor oil" contain the additive again? That's something else you posted.
Why do you have to be so pedantic? Use the search function and search for "boron nitride" if it bothers you this much.

I’m not bothered at all, only discussing what the OP posted. Or aren’t we supposed to read what people post?

He said many brands have the solid additive and I wanted to know which ones.

Run it, sample it, and change it when the data shows it should be changed. I would imagine Volvo publishes condemnation values for engine oil.
That's the plan, another member suggested 25-30k OCI above, I will sample it midway and when changing the oil.

Back