Still issues with my series 60

@thejudges69 can you re-shim the oil pump to drop your oil pressure a little. I wonder if the oil pressure is contributing to the shearing.

I’m with @56Cummins if you can’t resolve the shearing then I’d use the Mystik 15w50. I’ve got their 15w40 in my Cummins Ram currently.

On the silicone side I’m with Blackstone. Have you checked your air intake hoses? Have you switched air filters.

Just my $0.02
Oh and we haven’t found the culprit for the silicon. That’s been a mystery. As mentioned in that post air filters didn’t change the outcome. The trunk is tight and sealed as well.

There is no consistency to the shearing. I’m sure you noticed some are 11.3 which I believe is a 10w30 viscosity correct? Also, I re read your post, what is your recommendation? I’ve already reduced intervals from 20k to 12-14k
Yes, it may "vary" but there is an average & that is more important in the overall view. 13k will put you at your avg end of a 40. That would be the easiest method. I'm not exactly sure of what you'd like to accomplish other than the shearing. The 13k will do that on avg & some of the results may land lower but others will be higher. It will avg around 12.68 based on all of your previous sampling data.

In my opinion I would run it to 15k intervals on any CK-4 rated oil. If you have a Detroit Diesel oil spec then you could narrow it down a bit further. I'm seeing the wear increase when you've gone over 15k. Unless those were after an engine rebuild?

Yes, it may "vary" but there is an average & that is more important in the overall view. 13k will put you at your avg end of a 40. That would be the easiest method. I'm not exactly sure of what you'd like to accomplish other than the shearing. The 13k will do that on avg & some of the results may land lower but others will be higher. It will avg around 12.68 based on all of your previous sampling data.

In my opinion I would run it to 15k intervals on any CK-4 rated oil. If you have a Detroit Diesel oil spec then you could narrow it down a bit further. I'm seeing the wear increase when you've gone over 15k. Unless those were after an engine rebuild?
All the numbers posted at post rebuild. The ones around 1.960.000 are post cam bearings and rod bearings and shimming the oil regulator and switching to Kendall Super DXA. Prior to that was conventional oil. I’m ok with 15k intervals, I'm currently running 10-12k or as best I can, this last one is around 16k and the samples going in for it tomorrow.

I was hoping yo figure out how to hold the viscosity level a little longer and better. I hate the idea of Lucas cause it has no additive package. But I read a thread where someone suggested 80w90 gear oil, even a half a gallon to 10 gallons cause of the additive package. It’s always sheared super fast.

I’ll explain best I can but the engine started with 15w40 and n average 2-3k miles later it’s at a lower 15w40/10w30 viscosity level. Speaking with Detroit they don’t recommend the 10w30 in the older engines cause the tolerances are greater than the newer engines.

All the numbers posted at post rebuild. The ones around 1.960.000 are post cam bearings and rod bearings and shimming the oil regulator and switching to Kendall Super DXA. Prior to that was conventional oil. I’m ok with 15k intervals, I'm currently running 10-12k or as best I can, this last one is around 16k and the samples going in for it tomorrow.

I was hoping yo figure out how to hold the viscosity level a little longer and better. I hate the idea of Lucas cause it has no additive package. But I read a thread where someone suggested 80w90 gear oil, even a half a gallon to 10 gallons cause of the additive package. It’s always sheared super fast.

I’ll explain best I can but the engine started with 15w40 and n average 2-3k miles later it’s at a lower 15w40/10w30 viscosity level. Speaking with Detroit they don’t recommend the 10w30 in the older engines cause the tolerances are greater than the newer engines.
Please don't put Gear oil in your rebuilt DD. The additive package is different & here's where I'll blow your mind... Gear oil differs from engine oil. While many motorists may assume SAE 90 gear oil is thicker than SAE 40 or 50 engine oil, their viscosities are the same.

Here's what I recommend instead. Find some Diesel rated Single Grade 40 weight to add when the oil gets low. See how that works for you. Just no gear oil.

Please don't put Gear oil in your rebuilt DD. The additive package is different & here's where I'll blow your mind... Gear oil differs from engine oil. While many motorists may assume SAE 90 gear oil is thicker than SAE 40 or 50 engine oil, their viscosities are the same.

Here's what I recommend instead. Find some Diesel rated Single Grade 40 weight to add when the oil gets low. See how that works for you. Just no gear oil.
Like a 400w40 straight weight?

They suggest a CK-4 or FA-4 rated oil
FA-4 is a lower viscosity diesel version developed for fuel economy. It would go against what you're trying to accomplish. I doubt your engine qualifies for FA-4.

Detroit Diesel: API FA-4 (DFS 93K223) can be used in all EPA 2010 and newer engines.

FA-4 is a lower viscosity diesel version developed for fuel economy. It would go against what you're trying to accomplish. I doubt your engine qualifies for FA-4.

Detroit Diesel: API FA-4 (DFS 93K223) can be used in all EPA 2010 and newer engines.
It maybe cause this engine started life as an emissions engine that it was said to me that way

I ran a fleet that put on 6,000,000 miles a year. Cat and Mack power but Kendall Super D-XA did a great job for me. I've used it in a Duramax and currently use it in a Cummins/Onan gasoline generator that calls for 15W-40. I would have no problem staying with Kendall.

Back