Costco tire takes credit card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Buying new tires for the wife's car. Costco beat everyone by a long shot, even with membership cost. So I signed up. Two different clubs each gave conflicting info. One day they had 24 in my size, another day none, one club had to order the tire I wanted, because they didn't stock it, then another day they put foreign stock. They weren't willing to reserve tires that they had on hand, so I just went online and ordered them.

I put in all the information and got to the point where they asked about payment. I had my debit card ready but noticed that they offered to take Discover. Maybe there is such a thing as a Discover debit card I'm not sure... But it picked my interest so I decided to try my US airways visa credit card. Why not get a couple hundred miles??

So I put in the number and all the information and it took it!!

Maybe it doesn't process on the spot and will be rejected, I don't know... But it took it, confirmed the order, and sent me an email confirmation.

I thought Cosco was debit card and American Express only... Is this not the case for the tire department?

They probably use a third party to process the financial aspects of online ordering and that vendor accepts credit cards.

And it shouldn't get rejected because the system will run your payment info to ensure that the basics are valid before spitting out a confirmation.

Last edited:
Found this

At a Costco store: you may pay with cash, a check, a debit card, a Costco Cash Card, or with an American Express card (including the Costco TrueEarnings American Express card). American Express is the ONLY credit card accepted in Costco warehouse stores.

On Costco.com: you can use just about any credit card — American Express, MasterCard, Visa, or Discover — as well as Costco Cash Cards or the Bill Me Later service.

I got the Costco Amex so I could buy gas, a significant savings. I was already shopping there and had been paying cash. The one time I went to automotive they didn't have a battery for a Mustng GT. Can't figure that, not like its an exotic or anything.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I thought Cosco was debit card and American Express only... Is this not the case for the tire department?

At their stores they can take cash or debit cards. It's a little bit harder online, so apparently they do take Visa or MC.

Quote:
http://www.costco.com/online-shopping.html

Payment

All prices and dollar amounts on this site are in United States dollars. Costco.com accepts the following credit cards: American Express (the preferred Credit Card of Costco.com), VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and the Costco credit card. Some electronic transactions may require extended processing in addition to credit card authorization. You will be notified by a Costco.com customer service representative if extended processing is required to complete your transaction request through our web site. All credit cards must be valid, authentic and you must be authorized to use them. If the charge is not authorized or accepted, we reserve the right to cancel your order without notice or liability. We reserve the right to stop accepting credit cards from one or more issuers. Your credit card will be charged when the goods are shipped to you.

Buying new tires for the wife's car. Costco beat everyone by a long shot, even with membership cost. So I signed up. Two different clubs each gave conflicting info. One day they had 24 in my size, another day none, one club had to order the tire I wanted, because they didn't stock it, then another day they put foreign stock. They weren't willing to reserve tires that they had on hand, so I just went online and ordered them.

I put in all the information and got to the point where they asked about payment. I had my debit card ready but noticed that they offered to take Discover. Maybe there is such a thing as a Discover debit card I'm not sure... But it picked my interest so I decided to try my US airways visa credit card. Why not get a couple hundred miles??

So I put in the number and all the information and it took it!!

Maybe it doesn't process on the spot and will be rejected, I don't know... But it took it, confirmed the order, and sent me an email confirmation.

Costco Tire Mgr here. In the store we accept cash, check, amex, and debit. If you order online it will allow you to use other credit cards as credit.

Thanks all! Good to know. Tire prices were the same online as in store, FYI.

I was thinking to sign up for their Amex, but the closest Costco to us doesn't have gas, and I had a credit freeze and didn't know the pin to unlock. Oh well.

My pentagon federal gives me 5% back on gas anywhere. Is Costco gas pricing that much cheaper than anywhere else?

Is Costco gas pricing that much cheaper than anywhere else?

Where I live yes it's always 10-15 cents cheaper for Premium plus my local Costco has the "clean power gasoline" which is as good or better than TopTier.

Interesting. GIf only ours had gas. Good to know for on the road. THat would make it good to get the AMEX, as its 3% plus a 2% exec membership if one chooses...

A Costco without gas? I've never seen one. I always fill up when I'm there. If you hit it right, you can often get 10 cents cheaper. A lot of the time, it's only ~4cents less. While price is on the rise, they are often the last to change around here.

Quote:
A Costco without gas? I've never seen one
Funny, being from New England, I have never seen a Costco *with* gas!

My dad and I went to lunch last Saturday but had to fill up with gas at Costco first. All the pumps with the drivers side fill up were taken unless you back in which is kind of hard at this location. So I'm thinking great, this will be fun stretching the hose all the way over from the passenger side to the drivers side. But they installed new pumps there recently and they stretched over very easily. With the hose not even touching the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back