Costco tire rotation appts. / very unusual

I’m all about price and then quality. It’s interesting that some reflect positively about chain tire stores. My friend went to one and was not told about the rebate and she was livid. I can understand why. You’re selling people sets of tires close to $1,000, she didn’t see the rebate on the counter, be courteous, bring it to her attention.

A costco tire supervisor (long story it was on a warranty replacement) actually stood in line with me 8/20, and told the girl behind the customer service desk to issue me a $140 credit. She asked why and he joked, “just do it, I said so.” And she did.

The oddity I’m pointing out isn’t price nor service, but odd scheduling…
I shop DT online and the rebates are there - once tires are selected I book the appointment right then …

Interesting after 1 hr 15, I caved and walked outside expecting to see my car on the lift. It was parked, and I see the criss-crossed the tires. The diagram shows fronts doing that and rears moving forward. Whatever.

Interestingly, all 4 rims have new weights. I know balance is part of it, but I assumed they don’t do that unless owner requests? Not bad.

Can’t stand the place anymore - crowded - family shoppers block all the aisles - not even sure we saved much money there …
I don't go there often. When I do, it's for things like paper plates, paper towels, detergent, a chicken of course and when my wife let's me, a new TV. Sometimes, we get the random item(s) that are more expensive at other places. But, I do understand. At my local shoprite, I get the same thing with people blocking the aisles. It's like they are freaking clueless.

grrr now that I looked at the paperwork, they were done in 34 min. Not calling to say it was ready is a first hahahaha always something.

Also car was not locked where it was parked.

They put the wheel lock back in the glove box, when I left it on the seat. That made me mildly panic as I had already left the store.

It was not the intention for us when we joined in 2009. But there’s no question in my mind that Costco and Walmart are two different realms. Like the YMCA, and various swim clubs that where I live cost $3050 for Memorial Day to Labor Day (it’s not exclusive in any way other than the cost, just like costco).

Put it this way. I shop at Walmart, we swim at the Y, and we belong to Costco. I get why until recently, they never promo’d nor discounted memberships. They recently began cracking down on folks passing a membership to another or loaning one out. The campaign seems to have lasted a month and no longer (why do they they allow anyone to shop with a gift card).

In NJ they never asked for memberships on gas until recently. One town threatened to sue and costco caved.
But they can enforce the membership requirement for shopping in their warehouse. But you say they threatened to sue over the gas pumps? What law/statue did the town site for this?
Edit ps contrast to BJs. Their $55 membership is always $20/yr or free for 90 days.

Another good thing is never any questions asked on returns and yet lowest shrink in the industry. I appreciated that when my wife’s car wouldn’t start. I got a new battery despite it passing a load test at home. I felt that by doing so it would rule out the battery. Never happened since.

OK-it was a zoning issue (a technicality actually)-thus an exception. Good for the area. Personally-I don't want the privilege's of my Costco membership subsidizing those who don't have one....no matter if they are buying peanut butter or fuel.

So I guess your original point was a town made Costco sell gas to nonmembers because of a zoning issue. That was probably an oversight by Costco when the original plans were submitted.

Another post where I had to ask "the rest of the story".

Last edited:
My tires rotate while I’m driving, and they rotate the opposite whenever I’m going in reverse.

In the many miles I’ve put on many vehicles I’ve never once rotated my tires.

So I can’t really help. But I would trust Costco to do it right vs some other places.

I don't go there often. When I do, it's for things like paper plates, paper towels, detergent, a chicken of course and when my wife let's me, a new TV. Sometimes, we get the random item(s) that are more expensive at other places. But, I do understand. At my local shoprite, I get the same thing with people blocking the aisles. It's like they are freaking clueless.
Only thing I miss are the big jars of artichokes …

Only thing I miss are the big jars of artichokes …
I miss the big bag of purdue wings and of course I missed out when the Kirkland oil was much, much cheaper. Costco isn't an every week trip for us. Usually every few months. It helps that it is close to home and now even closer to my office. Sure, waiting for tire service sucks but I can state that the one local place I got tires from in the past would misbalance a tire but it was on the back and I didn't notice. As soon as I had them rotated, I could tell and they would charge me for balancing again. This happened a few times plus when I first got tires from them I had to have all 4 balanced 2 because their machine was broken. I gave up on them for tires. And the road hazard warranty cost extra too.

Reactions: 4WD
I miss the big bag of purdue wings and of course I missed out when the Kirkland oil was much, much cheaper. Costco isn't an every week trip for us. Usually every few months. It helps that it is close to home and now even closer to my office. Sure, waiting for tire service sucks but I can state that the one local place I got tires from in the past would misbalance a tire but it was on the back and I didn't notice. As soon as I had them rotated, I could tell and they would charge me for balancing again. This happened a few times plus when I first got tires from them I had to have all 4 balanced 2 because their machine was broken. I gave up on them for tires. And the road hazard warranty cost extra too.
During the pandemic Costco had fresh wings $2.99/lb. I bought a propane burner on Amazon (hooks up to 20 lb tank) and deep fried them outside. Cheap and tasty.

One thing I did learn. 80,000 btu is like our 4 burner char broil. It uses up the tank faster than the grill cuz grill is on for such a short time normally.

Went to another Costco today and had a misunderstanding. Put it this way neither my wife nor I had our citi visas / membership card so I downloaded the app. I didn’t know where in the app the card shows (kinda like when I went to Whole Foods I didn’t know how to scan the prime barcode). Lady wouldn’t let me in said go to member services…

@CKN
The unavailability of Microwave Gas Station style Cheeseburgers was a big disappointment. Miss the liquid smoke they smear on them. :D Sam's Club has them. After going there for the first time in 11 years I have found the quantities required just to purchase something keep getting larger. Cookies are up to 24 count as an example. Their meat prices are very close to a common supermarkets. I joined basically for the food aspect and it has been somewhat disappointing. I do lemon water daily, and a large bag of lemons started to go bad very quickly. Again too many. The lettuces were not the best. Food court was only manned by one person. Very slow service.

My closest warehouse is a small footprint store. Not actually the closest but easier to get too. Just doesn't have the space for as many items. I am going to shop them for tires and car insurance. If these prove to be good experiences I will probably stay with them.

My tires rotate while I’m driving, and they rotate the opposite whenever I’m going in reverse.

In the many miles I’ve put on many vehicles I’ve never once rotated my tires.

So I can’t really help. But I would trust Costco to do it right vs some other places.
I usually watch the tread, if they get half worn out I give them a rotation- if needed

I've purchased tires thru Costco before; my last experience was not good...Tires for my wife's Honda were purchased thru their online store and appointment made at the nearby Costco...Got to my appointment 15 minutes early...After wandering around the store for 90 minutes - I went to see what progress was made...They hadn't started working on my wife's car!

Long story short - went to customer service to get my refund and they gave me a weird look...Why the do you offer appointments if you don't even acknowledge them, or place them as a priority?

When you go to Costco for their free rotations, they also rebalance (new weights if needed) each wheel before rotating. They also take a steel brush and wipe the rotors and hubs clean of surface rust. They are also careful to not damage your wheels or hubcaps and not damage your undercarriage when lifting. I don't see much of that type of caring anywhere else.

Back