Cost of a new central air system

Any idea what a new ac system goes for today? My 22 year old unit died. I have two units, the upstairs unit has not been able to keep up with keeping temp when very hot. The shutoff box just melted. Figure the compressor failed or something, either way, it was on borrowed time.

My upstairs square footage is pretty big 2,000 feet or so. I imagine I’d need an entire new setup, as the old refrigerant is obsolete now. I’m hoping to use my existing ductwork. I’m in the New England area.

I had to have new units installed 5 years ago. The original system used the old refrigerant so the entire system had to be changed out. Got new Carrier heat pumps for both floors. Cost ~$10K. I had 4 estimates and chose the company with the best reputation, not the cheapest.

Also when they go out you want it replaced quick and go for the first or second estimate... If you can shop around and get as many estimates as you can...Mine went out in 2017 after 20 years.. It also was a r22 system. Had it replaced with a 2 ton carrier and a new gas furnace too. The bill was 6800.00.... The same lineset was used...they run a chemical through the lines to clean all of the old junk out....

Last edited:
We replaced our central heating/cooling system in 2020. It’s a Tempstar high efficiency propane burner and 2.5 ton cooling unit and we paid $5700 installed. The previous unit was a Bryant and the date code said it was made in 1998.

I replaced the heat pump and air handler in my 2500 sq. ft. house with a Trane 3 years ago (pre Covid) for about $5,000. Last year I replaced the A/C (has gas heat) and air handler in my son's 1000 sq. ft. house with a Trane.......for $5,000. If you haven't priced a unit recently get ready for sticker shock.

We just replaced our AC/furnace in October. Went with a Lennox single-stage 2.5 ton and 80% efficient gas heater, was $6,700 all-in. They came at 9am and were done by 4pm.

We had gotten 7 different quotes. Cheapest was $5,700, most expensive was like $9,300.

The bed room on the SW corner of our house in Fla was getting very hot during the long hot summer days and the central AC worked fine but just wasn't able to deal with that far corner of the house. We installed a Mitsubishi mini-split in that room and it works great! We can't even see any additional power usage. If I needed to replace a central AC unit today I would seriously considered using a couple of mini-splits instead of a central unit. They are extremely efficient and are very quiet and the temp in that room now varies less than 1 degree in on the hottest days. Our unit costs us about $4200 all in. That was just under 2 years ago.

I live in a single wide mobile home trailer. It has 2 ton central air, but my ductwork is leaking and AC is expensive. 13 SEER for a new model, you will not get ahead by buying a higher SEER in mobile homes. Plus there was a 10 degree difference on one end of the trailter- shade leaking ducts cause uneven cooling

I´m looking at a 24k btu mini split system, at 21 SEER for a lower price, and much cheaper than a new central heat pump unit.

As an aside, the fan motor in my 2018 Carrier went out-actually it would not turn off, had to throw the breaker, and those run 3k-5k for the PART....Luckily warranty covered it. Lots of people just add a fan relay and put in an old school split cap motor for$200. If you have one of the new ones be careful- the 240 is hot all the time to the motors. The thermostat wires go to the same terminal input block on the motor.

Wow, this thread is quite sobering.
My parents bought their house in 2000 (built in the late 60s) and have been limping their a/c system along since then (it was quite poor back then).

Any idea what a new ac system goes for today? My 22 year old unit died. I have two units, the upstairs unit has not been able to keep up with keeping temp when very hot. The shutoff box just melted. Figure the compressor failed or something, either way, it was on borrowed time.

My upstairs square footage is pretty big 2,000 feet or so. I imagine I’d need an entire new setup, as the old refrigerant is obsolete now. I’m hoping to use my existing ductwork. I’m in the New England area.
Are you considering a heat pump? There are units suitable for New England.
If keeping the existing ductwork, it will have to be evaluated to make sure they are large enough.

If keeping the existing ductwork, it will have to be evaluated to make sure they are large enough.
I am, I have a guy coming out on Monday, will ask him about that. Unfortunately it’s my second floor...not sure how much the heat pump will help my overall heating bill being on the second floor...if I was doing both units it would probably be better.

FYI Mitsubishi does make a mini-split air conditioner/heat pump. It wasn't much more expensive than the AC only unit. I considered one but decided that I would rarely use the heat function (Florida! :). And 2nd, the reversing valve is usually one of the highest failure rate items in the AC/heat pumps so I would just forgo that option.

Ductwork to me has always been the biggest problem with central heating and AC but a mini-split doesn't need any so it elimenates one of the biggest problems in AC systems.

Just had a new 2 ton unit installed two days ago. $3700. Carrier outside unit and "A" coil. The furnace was fairly new, so it didn't need to be replaced. Simple single stage, 15 SEER.

Ductwork to me has always been the biggest problem with central heating and AC but a mini-split doesn't need any so it elimenates one of the biggest problems in AC systems.

There's several options for ductwork. What is probably very common in Florida is the bunch of flex duct laying on an attic floor. It's cheap, it's easy, it takes zero skill to install.

Metal ducts installed by a tin knocker are a big step up, especially when an engineer has properly sized them for the system. Building codes now require ducts to be sealed with mastic, which eliminates leakage.

4K for the Carrier I just got. 7500$ counting the Carrier furnace.
Thermostat on 70 degrees will give you frostbite 🥶.
My previous no name unit would be set on 67, and was just acceptable.
I’m saving about 50$ a month on utilities, system is paying for itself.
Replace both at same time, if you are able.
My previous system setup was the original in the home, 13 year old system

Back