corolla rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

i do not understand why people buy them

Because people would like to get from a to b, instead of spending their evenings posting why their focus can't get them from a to b.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Toyota should be able to produce a much better Corolla but at a much higher cost

They do. It's called Lexus.
smile.gif

Life isn't all about (at least for me) driving fancy cars that are the most comfortable well handling things out there.

All that's important to me is that it's dead reliable and decent on gas, which my Camry is and a new Corolla certainly would be.

I'd bet money a new Corolla would beat pretty much any car out there for reliability, the lowest cost of ownership over 15 years, 300,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I've also driven a Corolla and found it a tinny, uncomfortable and buzzy little penalty box with poor ergonomics and cheap interior.

First time I've seen someone complain about Corolla ergonomics. They are such simple cars and everything is located where you expect it.

I've also driven a 2015 Corolla rental and I thought the build quality and ergonomics are good.

2003-2008 Corollas also have good ergonomics apart from the weird sitting position.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a brand new Corolla myself, but I can understand why people buy them. It's cheap, predictable, and reliable.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
All of the American companies plus FCA have a better offering, heck even Subaru does a nicer job.

FCA

crackmeup2.gif

The Compass, Patriot, and Renegade are probably some of the worst cars you can buy today.

The Corolla is priced much lower than the Dart. The Dart is a sales disappointment because it's priced so closely to larger cars like the Ford Fusion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I've also driven a Corolla and found it a tinny, uncomfortable and buzzy little penalty box with poor ergonomics and cheap interior.

First time I've seen someone complain about Corolla ergonomics. They are such simple cars and everything is located where you expect it.

I've also driven a 2015 Corolla rental and I thought the build quality and ergonomics are good.

2003-2008 Corollas also have good ergonomics apart from the weird sitting position.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a brand new Corolla myself, but I can understand why people buy them. It's cheap, predictable, and reliable.

All of the American companies plus FCA have a better offering, heck even Subaru does a nicer job.

FCA

crackmeup2.gif

The Compass, Patriot, and Renegade are probably some of the worst cars you can buy today.

The Corolla is priced much lower than the Dart. The Dart is a sales disappointment because it's priced so closely to larger cars like the Ford Fusion.

Uhmmm i have literally no idea where your looking but i couldn't pick up a base model corolla "base model" for 17,000 and some change i got a well equipped nice rallye package dart for 15900..... and its twice the car the cheapy corolla is. I mean the seats weren't even comfortable in it. So i have no idea where in the world you getting this info but its so far away from reality where i am that im just lost by this.

Yeah but their are some good little cars out their. All of the American companies plus FCA have a better offering, heck even Subaru does a nicer job.

You don't have to spend BMW money to get a nice little car, you just have to head over to the Dodge, Chevy, or Ford dealer.

The buying public don't know and don't care about other brands. Majority of drivers just like to have a reliable car that starts every morning when they go to work, easy on gas so they don't spend a fortune every week. After number of years they can sale it themselves easily or trade it in and get good amount to a another Corolla.

If driving dynamic is importance to most drivers then Mazda 3 should be the best selling vehicle in the compact segment, but it isn't. Same for Mazda 6, it should be the best selling family sedan, but it isn't.

That's the way it is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Maybe if you are used to Japanese cars
21.gif
I also find Honda ergonomics weird. I grew up driving Ford products and found the ergonomics on my BMW's very similar to the Ford products with everything in the "right" location. My current Charger is also pretty good in that department, though admittedly the M5 was a bit better.

That's the way it is.

Correct, because those people, who make up the majority, are looking for an A to B appliance, not something they can hammer through corners. These are the same people that buy Chinese tires and get their oil changed at Jiffy Lube.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
hmmm i have literally no idea where your looking but i couldn't pick up a base model corolla "base model" for 17,000 and some change i got a well equipped nice rallye package dart for 15900..... and its twice the car the cheapy corolla is. I mean the seats weren't even comfortable in it. So i have no idea where in the world you getting this info but its so far away from reality where i am that im just lost by this.

Sounds like you got a good deal on yours. I get this from family who work for FCA.

Maybe if you are used to Japanese cars
21.gif
I also find Honda ergonomics weird. I grew up driving Ford products and found the ergonomics on my BMW's very similar to the Ford products with everything in the "right" location. My current Charger is also pretty good in that department, though admittedly the M5 was a bit better.

Yeah, what you normally drive would influence things. I drive an E46 and don't find it very different from a Corolla though. I find domestic vehicles most confusing. Sometimes they got a million things built into a single stalk.

Last edited:
I grew up on domestic cars, and prefer the Japanese control setup, with headlamps on the turn signal stalk, the wipers on the right-side stalk, etc. There's been a learning curve with my Ridgeline -- Honda is trying to mimic the domestic trucks, here. The headlamp dial is down on the dash, the wipers are on the turn signal stalk, and the column shifter is on the right side of the steering column. It's taken me some getting used-to, but there is a certain familiarity to it, from the vehicles I grew up driving.

I never will miss GM's old combo turn signal/wiper/cruise control stalk, though...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I never will miss GM's old combo turn signal/wiper/cruise control stalk, though...
smile.gif

Oh, I know. GM's controls to me were always "WTH were you thinking????"

That's the way it is.

Correct, because those people, who make up the majority, are looking for an A to B appliance, not something they can hammer through corners. These are the same people that buy Chinese tires and get their oil changed at Jiffy Lube.

Corolla and similar car owners think that anything above 0.1G is insane.

On winding mountain road they would go 10-15 MPH below recommend speed on tight turns, and very slowly accelerate back to 5-10 MPH below speed limit.

That is the way they drive and Toyota makes the Corolla just for them, that why it is one of the 10 best selling vehicles in US for many many years. Also, Corolla is one of the best selling vehicles worldwide for more than a decade.

Toyota has successful formula(in term of sale volume) in design/engineer the Corolla, I don't blame them for not changing it.

I don't know which tire brand they buy and where they have their car maintenance, so I can't say anything.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

Uhmmm i have literally no idea where your looking but i couldn't pick up a base model corolla "base model" for 17,000 and some change i got a well equipped nice rallye package dart for 15900..... and its twice the car the cheapy corolla is. I mean the seats weren't even comfortable in it. So i have no idea where in the world you getting this info but its so far away from reality where i am that im just lost by this.

Live life worrying about more important things, you dont like the Corolla, so much so you were compelled to make a forum post about it. Your exact topic has been beat down by others long in the past. Thanks for sharing, but try not to be conceited in thinking that your purchase was smart, your line of thinking is unique, or your opinion worth hearing.

Last edited:
I can tell you why my mom would keep her corolla instead of "upgrading" to a better car:

1) Sloppy steering: it is call easy to steer, she doesn't have to turn very hard to do U turn on a tight road. It is also easier for her to drive that thing when she is older. Drivers Ed use Corolla for this reason.

2) Body roll: it is easy to know you are going faster than you are safe to, you don't need to find out when your tires lost traction, just by the amount of body roll. Drivers Ed use Corolla for this reason.

3) Seat ergonomics: surprisingly my whole family including myself feels that the corolla has "comfortable seat" that is not too awkward. I sat in a Mazda6 once and despite it being the best midsize car on paper, my neck hurt. Corolla seat is probably ergonomically the best for most people in the world, just happen to not fit you well.

4) Other companies' better offering: well, the trade off is they probably are more advanced tech that are not as reliable as obsoleted 10 year old tech on the Corolla nor as cheap. It could be a good thing or bad thing depends on how you look at it.

I'd not call Corolla the worst, but they probably aren't any better than 90s Corolla, build when price was around 50% more than today's corolla after inflation and currency depreciation.

Last edited:

That's the way it is.

True, and they treat them as such to. I can't believe how filthy people keep their vehicles.

That's the way it is.

True, and they treat them as such to. I can't believe how filthy people keep their vehicles.

True. My garage floor is cleaner than some cars interior.

I`ve got a2014 Corolla now with 21k miles. Couldn`t be more pleased with it . Runs 1900 rpm at 70mph on a flat road with the cvt tranny . My average counting the last 5k miles is reading 39.1 mpg on the dash readout . It rides smooth for a compact car . I don`t feel the tinny-ness that was mentioned. The back seat is roomier than any car in the compact class by far . Roomier than some midsize cars . The price was maybe 1k more than sub compacts that I was considering and the gas mileage was even better than those sub-compacts . Dash board looks good to me , not like every other dash out there these days. I don`t think it handles like a sports car and it`s not designed to . I think that`s the problem with the negative comments . They are comparing a car with cars and trucks that are a ton heavier , longer wheel base, 100 more horsepower and so on . I won`t put down the Dart , Mazda 3, Cruise , and so on because I don`t put down cars I don`t OWN . If you really are interested in a car go to Edmunds.com and read OWNER reviews of that car.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I`ve got a2014 Corolla now with 21k miles. Couldn`t be more pleased with it . Runs 1900 rpm at 70mph on a flat road with the cvt tranny . My average counting the last 5k miles is reading 39.1 mpg on the dash readout . It rides smooth for a compact car . I don`t feel the tinny-ness that was mentioned. The back seat is roomier than any car in the compact class by far . Roomier than some midsize cars . The price was maybe 1k more than sub compacts that I was considering and the gas mileage was even better than those sub-compacts . Dash board looks good to me , not like every other dash out there these days. I don`t think it handles like a sports car and it`s not designed to . I think that`s the problem with the negative comments . They are comparing a car with cars and trucks that are a ton heavier , longer wheel base, 100 more horsepower and so on . I won`t put down the Dart , Mazda 3, Cruise , and so on because I don`t put down cars I don`t OWN . If you really are interested in a car go to Edmunds.com and read OWNER reviews of that car.

I drive my grandpas Lincoln MKS once in a while and often my wifes mazda 6. If you are used to those kinds of cars the econo boxes will feel inferior. It is all a matter of perspective.
MKS feels like a quiet padded room compared to my ford focus.
Mazda 6? I had a full cup of coffee in my hand and was going off ramp at 55mph and did not even notice, I would have been cleaning that coffee of myself and my car if I did that in the focus.

That's the way it is.

lol, what a ridiculous statement. Plenty of conscientious car people have made wise transportation choices.

Last edited:

That's the way it is.

Yup. I worked a winter at a tire shop. Corolla owners got puzzled when I pointed out engines weeping oil at 40k miles. They didn't care. Same as when their struts were leaking. They loved the $17 oil changes though, and the cheap "Sumic" tires we sold. They saw service as a commodity as well as the vehicle, so our undercutting others on oil changes by a couple bucks was a big deal.

Oddly I never worked on a Prius. Their owners are cut from a different cloth, and either go to the dealer, brand-specific indy, or work on the cars themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back