Coolant change: by miles or time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Toyota's Red coolant which is good for 30K miles I was told. If I average 50K a year, should I really have to change it at 30K? I know the obvious answer is yes, but I've heard mixed things about coolant. One Toyota dealer actually said it goes by time. I highly recommend sticking with the OEM coolant. There has been to much bad info. on mixing and dexcool.

I'd go by both mileage and time. If they say it's only good for 30k, change it at 30k. I guess you could always test it's condition with one of those cheap testers first though.

Actually there's a way to determine if it's time. You can pick up some ph strips from say a pool place or walmart and dip it into the coolant. Compare it and see if it has become acidic. It should read around mid range of 7. When coolant starts to break down, it turns acidic, thus creating corrosion and deteriation.

Agree that ph is not the sole consideration for changing your antifreeze. There is a property called reserve alkalinity which translates to how much additive is remaining to control the acids that are gradually generated in your coolant. Just measuring the ph gives you a snapshot of how acidic you coolant is at that particular time. In the next 10-25 hours of operation, it could turn more acidic which the ph would not have been able to have predicted. There are some companies that sell these test strips that actually measure your reserve alkalinity.

Coolant quality via ph isn't the only concern. Figure that hoses/clamps/fasteners/pump/belt all have a limited life.

I change all but the pump at 40,000 or 4-years; change the pump at around 75,000; don't have problems.

Coolant itself is changed annually.

Though now that there are some long-life coolants available, they are factory-fill with their own provisions.

The next change for me will be the following when I can afford a new motor for this car:

www.evanscooling.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back