Is the thermostat open by 175°F on this 2017 Corolla?

I'm doing a coolant flush and change by draining, filling with distilled water and driving a few miles to mix well. Then repeating until the water drains clear. It would circulate better if the thermostat was fully open but I thought modern cars use 195° stats. I can't get this to go over 175° on local roads and saw 182° briefly on the highway. Do these Toyotas run cool?

I'm doing a coolant flush and change by draining, filling with distilled water and driving a few miles to mix well. Then repeating until the water drains clear. It would circulate better if the thermostat was fully open but I thought modern cars use 195° stats. I can't get this to go over 175° on local roads and saw 182° briefly on the highway. Do these Toyotas run cool?
I looked up a thermostat on a site called something like Genuine Toyota Parts. Under FAQ they said that the thermostat opens at "about" 180°.

I wish they had specified both the initial opening and fully open temperatures.

Mazda thermostats often used to be rated at 82°C (c. 180°F), but that was initial opening. Fully open temperature was higher.

Some people here used to solder the jiggle pin shut to improve the heat in the winter.

None of which answers your question ... How are you determining what the coolant temperature is?

Also you can buy thermostats with various temp ranges, Non OEM thermostats seem to have a wider acceptable range even when listed at the spec temperature.

Seems about right to me. I doubt neither thermostat nor temp sender is +/-1F accurate.

I'm not pulling hoses or the thermostat if they are working fine. Just creates unnecessary work and a possible leak point after putting it back together. After four cycles I got it to drain pure water.

Coolant flush and change.jpg

Funny thing was how long a drain took. Even 10 minutes after opening the drain valve, it still was a steady stream. And it looked like 90% of the old stuff comes out as I could stuff nearly 1 1/2 gallons of water back in. That's nearly the total capacity of the whole system.

My ‘07 Corolla takes a 180F from the factory, hard to believe a newer one would be lower. Mine usually stabilizes around 190-195F on the highway with it (a Motorad).

Those numbers look right for a properly operating cooling system in good condition.

Back