Cool Flyovers

There was some pretty awesome flying over Lakehurst from the Naval Air Station yesterday afternoon. I'm no expert on fighter jets, but I think it was an F-18 doing some low altitude high banking loops between the base and out over the town. Looking at pictures online, the profile of what I saw looks like it could've been an F-18 at least.

There's been a lot of very powerful engine noise a couple of nights this past week too. Sounds and feels like a far-off rocket launch when you stand outside; sustained for what felt like an hour, but probably like 20 minutes at a time. Maybe it was this same jet, but further out over the base.

I've been here my whole life, so I'm accustomed to things like jets, C-17's, helicopters of all sorts, and ordinance testing/disposal on a daily basis. This kind of flying was something we don't see often though; very cool. If it continues past yesterday, I'll try getting some pics or videos.

I don't see any TFRs near Lakehurst KNEL, so it's probably not an airshow.

Power in the Pines airshow was supposed to be in back in May 2022, but postponed to May 2023. That's the last I heard about it anyway.

IIRC there was only a logistics wing and a refueling wing (and medical wing) at McGuire back when my wife was stationed there. (2001 - 2005) So lots of big transport planes. So I agree, the F/A planes seem unusual unless there is a joint training exercise at Dix?

IIRC there was only a logistics wing and a refueling wing (and medical wing) at McGuire back when my wife was stationed there. (2001 - 2005) So lots of big transport planes. So I agree, the F/A planes seem unusual unless there is a joint training exercise at Dix?

Jets have never been an uncommon sight in the skies by me. But I only see low flying and doing maneuvers like this maybe a couple times a year.

This one was especially low and right overhead doing a near 180° banking turn to do a long loop back and forth for a while. It was a cool sight to see even for this long time resident.

It's flying right now, but it's not as low or as close as yesterday. This is the best I could get, not clear at all.

PXL_20220927_212754233.jpg
PXL_20220927_212737281.MP.jpg

Clear enough. F/A-18 Hornet. Absolutely a Hornet.

Likely a Super Hornet, and it appears to be an E model, single seat, but it’s a bit fuzzy to tell with certainty.

From those photos, looks more like an older Hornet. C model, though the Navy no longer flies them, the USMC does, and so do the Canadians.
As I think about it, it’s most likely to be a “super Hornet“ - there just aren’t enough of the older ones around that would be doing Test and Evaluation work.

The fine details, like leading edge root extension shape, intake shape, etc. just aren’t visible in the pictures. So, I’m going with most likely - which is a Super Hornet.

Back