Conventional oil OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a good conventional oil like Valvoline(white bottle) with a OCI of 3-5K keep a engine as clean as a synthetic oil?I looked at some of the photos on this site with people using conventional oil with near spotless engines.I have 115,500 on my Jeep and was thinking of going back to the conventional oil. Joe

Go to a high mileage syn blend like Maxlife and do 5000 OCI and all is good. Best of both worlds.

Conventional oil is as good as synthetic in my applications.I use whatever is FAR or better for my pocket.Synthetic oil should have genuine advantage of extended OCI though.

Originally Posted By: Dually
Can a good conventional oil like Valvoline(white bottle) with a OCI of 3-5K keep a engine as clean as a synthetic oil?

Absolutely!

Originally Posted By: Doog
Go to a high mileage syn blend like Maxlife and do 5000 OCI and all is good. Best of both worlds.

+1

So where does Randomhero and Tooslicks formulae fall into place here? Both are well respected, but almost always exceed the 5000 mile suggestion given in this thread and in every single OLM out there (severe use, turbo and DI engines excluded) for conventional.

Over time you might see a little varnish at 5k + OCI's, that's about it. I've seen clean engines posted on here with about every type of lube, but the dino run engines with no varnish typically followed a fairly short OCI schedule IIRC.

Can a good conventional oil like Valvoline(white bottle) with a OCI of 3-5K keep a engine as clean as a synthetic oil?I looked at some of the photos on this site with people using conventional oil with near spotless engines.I have 115,500 on my Jeep and was thinking of going back to the conventional oil. Joe

In a word, yes. Prior to using synthetic, I used VWB for almost 15 years, anything from 3000 to 5000 mile OCI, in vehicles from new to nearly 200000 miles. Never had one oil related issue, and although there was a little varnish under the valve cover in the older vehicles, I can't say if that was there when I bought them used.

UOAs on VWB at 5000 miles in our current vehicles showed it could go further, and the results were every bit as good as what was seen at the same distance for Amsoil and ST Syn.

That said, since you're on Long Island...if you have numerous short trips then synthetic may be better for you.

Last edited:
Yes check that out with the post on 3/33/13 on the Mitsy with 152k looks new pristine all dino. Better than some syn. by far.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Yes check that out with the post on 3/33/13 on the Mitsy with 152k looks new pristine all dino. Better than some syn. by far.

Got the link to that one?

You would do fine with any dino at that OCI. Even better - be sure the oil matches the proper Chrysler spec for your Jeep.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2959818&Searchpage=8&Main=194308&Words=33113+152%2C+000+under+valve+cover+&Search=true#Post2959818
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2959818&Searchpage=8&Main=194308&Words=33113+152%2C+000+under+valve+cover+&Search=true#Post2959818

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back