Commuting in a truck (a year later).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Supton

I run in 2HI as long as I can. I know myself. In 4HI I can't feel road conditions very well, but in 2HI, if I feel TC kick in, or the tires spin, I know to slow down. In 4HI i'd be one of those people flying down the road (well I usually am, but only worse).

My driveway usually requires lock to lock turning, so driveline binding is a constant nuisance. This summer I parked a trailer in a friends yard; he said to use 4WD in the yard. So I did. Lock to lock turning on dry grass and I kept having to goose the throttle so spin a tire while moving around. Even on snow the tires get good bite; roll 4 feet, come to stop, gun the engine... repeat.

But yeah, in 4HI it has quite a bit of traction, not lacking there. Well until it gets high ended, get some packing snow and it's gave over. Thankfully that is not very often.

I agree the 4wd on these Tundras do bind quite a bit when turning on grippy surfaces, but its never been an issue for me. I do a sharp turn around at our cottage and in 4WD it does bind. But I have never had to goose the throttle like that. I just let it bind and the tire will eventually slip.

Like I said for me, this truck is fantastic in our severe winters. I have yet to drive something more sure footed.

25 MPG in a 5.3 Silverado?

Can it do that - sure probably.

Is that what it gets day to day commuting?

Sure - lets go with that.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
But yes, I kind of wish we chose an SUV over the Lexus. Something with 2wd, yet luxury like the Lexus. Does such a vehicle exist?
An optioned-up 2wd VW Atlas floats over roads, new its around $40,000 American. (What is that, $53,000 Canadian?).

Thank you UncleDave. I know guys post some really impressive fuel economy figures with their 5.3's, hemis and whatever V8, but at the end of the day, they're averaging around 16mpg tank to tank hand calculated, with normal day to day driving.

Unless of course that whole tank was consumed with the truck mostly unladen at highway speeds.

Last edited:
GM V8s are incredibly efficient. When my 16 6.2 was stock it could do 75 mph speed limit highway at 23 mpg. At the time i had a 12.5 mile non highway trip to work and it would get 16 tank to tank. I only have to go less than 4 miles now and its worse but it also has 35" tires.
Say what you want about the rest of the truck but the gen v small block v8 is the best there is.

I commute 75 miles per day in a Corolla. I get 40-42mpgs regularly. A truck? Ugh. I'd love it for the room and comfort and visibility...but...an extra $100-150 per month in gas just for my commute, not including other random trips. No thanks. Plus brand new with an extended warranty I paid upper $15k for the Corolla. No brainer, IMO.

I don't currently have a commute but my 2019 Raptor is my daily driver and I love it. If I had to put 100 miles a day on it I'd probably drive something more fuel efficient with cheaper tires but at this point it is great. It's fast, rides great, handles surprisingly well for a big truck and is very comfortable inside. My only gripe is the brakes.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

[Linked Image]

You can get 25mpg ON THE HIGHWAY with a newer 5.3 SIlverado. As a matter of fact-my best mpg was 32 (tailwind, downhill, AFM engaged). This was out of Vernal ,Utah heading towards Steamboat Springs, Colorado. It a gradual downhill highway. As I mentioned previously, I have my gauge for mpg set to 50 mile increments. So-at least for one stretch of that highway-it was 32 miles-per-gallon. HOWEVER-in city driving typical mpg is between 14 and 17 mpg-depending on traffic (which is basically what your info shows). On the highway-at 80mph (speed limit on I-15 in Utah heading out from Salt Lake) it's the mid-teens. Keep it at 70mph and you will see decent mpg-for a 2 -1/2 ton truck.

BTW-I own a 2018 Silverado-5.3 Crew Cab LTZ.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by super20dan
i routinely get 23 on trips in my 5.3 99 Silverado 18 city

Howwwwww I can barely manage 13 combined in 01 suburban 5.3 4x4

Originally Posted by dogememe

The newer trucks have a higher rear end( lower numerically ) like 3.42 vs the 3.73 in my avalanche. They also have more transmission gears than the 3sp od we have. They have afm and cut to 4cyl when load permits.

I get 13 town 18 hwy in my 03, 9mpg towing.

Last edited:
You would probably get better fuel economy from a small car; but then a 4 banger is probably going to wear out much more quickly. The hope is that over the long haul, the truck holds up better. Plus the benefits of ride height and not getting stuck!

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Railrust
I owned a Lexus LS 460 before this...great car...but when you're replacing the entire front suspension every two years and it's costing you thousands?? Kind of gets old.

What road obstacles were you attempting to clear with your Lexus that caused that much damage?!
crazy2.gif

My Lexus is still on it's original suspension with no rattles, or slop whatsoever

But yes, I kind of wish we chose an SUV over the Lexus.
Something with 2wd, yet luxury like the Lexus.
Does such a vehicle exist?

Absolutely - the new RAM LIMITED or LONGHORN models are Lexus level luxury or ABOVE. Absolutely the best interior of any truck and most cars/suvs. I have a 2016 Limited that is ultra nice but RAM has raised the bar even higher for 2019+

Originally Posted by UncleDave

[Linked Image]

Im averaging 24.5 over 42,000 miles. It's dropping a bit now that the cold weather has arrived. 2018 Silverado 5.3 double cab 4x4. I'd be averaging better if I didn't drive 3 months out of the year in freezing temps.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe

its 2x4 and has highway gears . not sure of ratio. today I was on freeway going 70 and doing 1700 rpm. in town I don't baby it either -its very fast and fun to drive. have flow master duel exaust and run stock 235 75 16 tires.

I've only done two long round trips in mine, but I've got between 23 and 24 MPG in mine. And that's running 70-80 MPH.

with mpgs like this from chevy-who needs a ford echo boost -wow I could have had a v8!

I'll take the Ecoboost with 93 tune.

The SBC wishes.

the chevy LS engine is no ordinary small block like the old 350. its a masterpiece of engineering

Agreed, I think they did a nice job with it...can/does it have issues? I mean, if you'd don't change your oil, yeah. Collapsed lifters.

The Eco Boost is pretty capable too with fuel mileage, however there seems to be only two ways to drive an Eco Boost...Eco...or Boost. You can't have it both ways. So you're either going to get great gas mileage or you're going to get terrible gas mileage. I think that's what I'm a little partial to the GM 5.3...you can drive it pretty hard and still get decent mileage. The Eco Boost from what I hear is a lot more fun though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back