Cold weather wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
You sound like a recent transplant to the midwest, not knowing how to deal with the cold.

Next to my skin I like silk. Incredibly warm and other layers slide rather than bind/bunch up when you move. Won't absorb sweat like cotton either.

If you insist on jeans, they need to be flannel lined and oversized to account for the added bulk. If you're not able to freely move, you'll end up like Randy...

Head & neck warmth is critical the colder it gets when you're not active in particular.

I've lived here my whole life.

My biggest concern was something that allows movement, but is also warm. My biggest thing about working outside is getting sweaty when say hauling wood and then getting chilled.. and eventually sick. Used to happen to me all the time, but now I've learned to not overdo it. Not much into hunting in the cold either for this very reason.
Silk will allow lots of movement, keep you very warm and move moisture away from your skin. You can also layer heavier silk over a light silk layer. Warmth without the bulk.

It's a good idea to peal off layers the minute you feel yourself sweating. This is the disadvantage of a single thick layer. You're locked into it and it's inflexible. Once you're sweating and wearing cotton, you're sunk. Cotton doesn't have much R-value compared to other fabrics and it loses all of it when wet. Now you will quickly chill and lose body heat.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: andrewg
North Face down parka.

Been a fan long before they were the "trendy" status item to wear...

Have both fleeces and a down coat. Also love my columbia stuff as well...

Can wear a t shirt under all that.....

Yes....if I wear anything too warm under my parka, I will sweat to death.

Trendy is exactly what most people look for. I'm past that now and want function. Still, North Face and Columbia sell a lot of trendy stuff that isn't all that functional (unless you only venture out into the elements at the mall).

I prefer to wear a house myself (aka stay inside).

Layers is good. I usually do a ski jacket and mittens--gloves don't work at all for me, but glove liners are ok for a few minutes, as long as one has a mitten to put back on. Hat is a requisite of course, and I just picked up a balaclava to cut down on windburn (but haven't gotten used to it yet). If it's below about 20F I start wearing long johns. Wool socks of some sort are good, but honestly I have to keep moving or my toes get cold no matter what I do.

Where it gets real tricky is if I'm working, and going to sweat. I try to avoid that in really cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back