Cold Air Intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is from yesterday morning on the way to work in the Focus. There was no traffic within a mile so I figured it was safe enough to take a quick pic.
T-stat seems to work quite well too, only dropped from 95C on the long downhills.

How fast does yours warm up? Maybe my t-stat is overly restrictive as this is the fastest warming up car I've ever had. Never seems to get much over 100C though in the summer so I don't worry too much about it.

It was cold enough here the other night, while i was sitting stationary in the drive thru @ my local timmy's (waiting while they were brewing a fresh pot) My water temp actually dropped 10 deg F, 165F(74C) to 155F(68C). the Intake Air temp was reading -3F(-19C)

How long were you driving at speed before you took that picture? I assume ambient air temperature was somewhere well south of 0*C, so a 32*C temperature for the intake air seems awfully high. Is this a stock intake system?

I haven't measured this on our Acura. On our Honda, intake air will run about 5-10*F warmer than outside air temperature when moving, and will warm quickly from underhood temperature when stopped.

PS: don't forget to fill up on your way home!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
How fast does yours warm up? Maybe my t-stat is overly restrictive as this is the fastest warming up car I've ever had. Never seems to get much over 100C though in the summer so I don't worry too much about it.

I have the lower grilles taped off and it will usually hit 80C on my drive to work. Not much heat, but not enough to tri pthe CEL.

1/3 gallon of gas does not make for much heat , apparently!

Originally Posted By: earlyre
It was cold enough here the other night, while i was sitting stationary in the drive thru @ my local timmy's (waiting while they were brewing a fresh pot) My water temp actually dropped 10 deg F, 165F(74C) to 155F(68C). the Intake Air temp was reading -3F(-19C)

Bad thermostat.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
How long were you driving at speed before you took that picture? I assume ambient air temperature was somewhere well south of 0*C, so a 32*C temperature for the intake air seems awfully high. Is this a stock intake system?

There is a - just to the right of the WT. Meaning his IAT is -32C.

Yep I should've made that clear that the intake temp was -32C, same as ambient. The heater seemed to keep up though.
Only when the car sits idling for a bit does the intake air temp rise much at all, when driving it pretty much stays at the ambient temperature.
I did get gas on the way home. Don't want to run out in this weather!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Yep I should've made that clear that the intake temp was -32C, same as ambient. The heater seemed to keep up though.
Only when the car sits idling for a bit does the intake air temp rise much at all, when driving it pretty much stays at the ambient temperature.
I did get gas on the way home. Don't want to run out in this weather!

I still fondly remember my 98 Neon R/T. Cheap, fun to drive, actually quite a performer for just two liters.

With an underdriven crank pulley, a larger throttle body, and an Iceman intake it was good for 36 mpg on the highway without being easy on it.

GREAT little car IMO...

Actually this is in the Focus, the Neon is hibernating right now.
As for mileage, the MPG showing is instantaneous, and I must've let off a bit for a second to get it that high on a flat piece of road. I'm getting 29-31 mpg tanks which isn't that great for my drive even in winter... The 3 spd auto Neon was actually a bit better as I think it let the motor run a bit leaner. The scanguage shows that the Focus goes very rich with a little extra throttle whereas the Neon would hold good mileage even going up a hill. When its warmer I'll try some stuff with the focus, plugs, fuel filter.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: earlyre

Bad thermostat.

Not necessarily. Both our cars with 1.5l or smaller engines will lose heat sitting at a long-enough light. Get them going again and they pop right back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back