'19 Tacoma Cold Air Intake - Exciting

My dad's birthday was on the 25th, and for his birthday I got a cold air intake for his Tacoma, which I service regularly and have posted about on here before.

He installed it while I was at work, the installation instructions say to disconnect the negative battery terminal during installation which he did.

After installation, he says the throttle response and shift points feel entirely different, and after riding with him I have to agree. Feels like an entirely different vehicle.

At idle it sounds like it used to with the stock intake, but when he has it wide open it sounds like a straight piped 370Z which he absolutely loves. Very loud and kinda "trumpety".

He says he's "not sure if it was a good idea that I got this for him or not" because now he's wanting to do a bunch of upgrades to the exhaust system :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
FB_IMG_1696129836700.jpg
FB_IMG_1696129839436.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's it getting the cold air from?
Same location as the stock air filter /
Nope. Actually, the old filter had cooler air as it was getting air strictly through the pipe that is designed to get outside air and not air under the hood, which is warmer. This open box is sucking much warmer air and everything that is floating under the hood.
I will never understand this.

Nope. Actually, the old filter had cooler air as it was getting air strictly through the pipe that is designed to get outside air and not air under the hood, which is warmer. This open box is sucking much warmer air and everything that is floating under the hood.
I will never understand this.
This. Also add in the sand sucker filter that will contaminate the mass air senser and wear the rings and valves out sooner.

Any detailed pics of the location and inner layout of the MAF's mounting location?

The change in butt-dyno numbers may be explainable by the MAF not getting the expected laminar flow across it (thus not metering "properly")

Longterm fuel consumption numbers would be interesting

Nice!. I would love that gift, and i'm sure the Toyota V6 sounds pretty decent with it installed.

Kinda did the same with a CAI install / K&N DRY FLOW FILTER for a little more intake sound.. Exhaust would draw too much attention. ;)

IMG_3368 (1).jpeg

its the same crap on the diesel forums.
some guy will ask which CAI is best for his Cummins
and anybody who knows anything will say that the stock setup
( aka Ram Active Air) is better as it draws warm engine compartment air
or cooler outside air depending on conditions.
but you just can't stop people from being their own worst enemy.

Back