Cleaning out the barn…What are these?

Spent some time yesterday cleaning out the barn. (Two truckloads to the dump).
Ran across these left behind by the previous owner. They seem to be made out of cast iron. Weighted balls with a little cast eye-hole and then separate covers (also cast iron).
I feel like I should know what these are, but just can’t think of it.

Attachments

• IMG_3291.jpeg
    IMG_3291.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 208
They don’t look like sash weights that I have/have seen.

I was going to initially say that this looks like a crucible, but it looks like the insert fills the outer shell completely.

Are you sure these two nested items are actually the same part?

Some kind of mold/die? Pour in molten liquid like wax maybe or pressing soft metal or leather?

Just a guess, but I suspect that it's something to tie a horse's rein to so the horse doesn't wander off. The base would be for use when the grass is wet and one weight would just slide, or when the ground is Muddy enough to be slick enough to allow one weight to slide, or if you needed a heavy anchor because you were working with a big plow horse that was quite powerful, but it would still allow the weight in the center to provide the anchoring of the horse to the area and I suspect that it's set up to allow the horse to be able to move around and actually turn while the horse moves around so that the horse could eat grass if you were in a situation where it was available. Why would you want two weights instead of one , because each weight is easier to lift then one that weigh twice as much, and in some situations one weight would be enough. If I'm correct these were mostly used with a carriage that the horse pulled so that you just kept the weights in the carriage when you weren't using them. This is all just a guess I don't have any actual facts or experience to prove it but I do know that they used weights sometimes to prevent a horse from wandering away back in the days before the Horseless Carriage.

Maybe the Amish members of Bob is the oil guy could chime in, LOL.

Last edited:
We've all seen and probably bought the other half of the sash weight equation. The 50 foot packages of " sash cord" or "sash rope" at the hardware store. Original stuff was even cotton based because in theory it was ever exposed to the element. People would often buy it for clothes line rope( when clothes lines existed) and be upset when it failed after a year exposed to the elements.

Back