Classic Craigslist listing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not making this up. Here's the description for an older Taurus:

"Car doesnt start. 185,000 miles. Will run good when fixed. Blown Head Gasket. Also maybe transmission. Interior is in moderate condition. All around in good shape when running."

High miles, won't start, trashed motor and transmission. But hey, fix it all up and its a great car!

thumbsup2.gif

Honesty abounds. I once listed an inherited pickup that would be good for driving migrant workers around your property, or leaving on an island for that 50 yard drive between the dock and one's property. Would be good for the MAYOR (emphasis mine) of said island. Mentioned the transmission was rebuilt by blind two-fingered monkeys and sprayed enough dexron to keep the weeds down. It didn't sell.
lol.gif

Though I'm glad these guys are out there selling at just above junkyard prices, makes parts/project cars available.

Originally Posted By: levi

"Car doesnt start. 185,000 miles. Will run good when fixed. Blown Head Gasket. Also maybe transmission. Interior is in moderate condition. All around in good shape when running."

High miles, won't start, trashed motor and transmission. But hey, fix it all up and its a great car!

thumbsup2.gif

And how much was this soon to be good running car?

I've been trolling CL for a replacement for the Prizm.

I'm at that point where I have to decide if I'm going to put any money into a 250K mile car and drive it a few years, or buy something with 100-150K fewer miles and drive that for the next five years.

But folks are insane with what they are asking.

I just inquired about a '99 Alero. Low miles (6xK) but they wanted 1,200-1,600 over full retail value of the top of the line car, with the low miles considered. But no indication it was the top of the line model.

So yeah, private sellers and dealers alike are pricing stuff way high, hoping to get a bid.

I told the guy on the Alero that I didn't want to insult him, but if he's wiling to talk closer to typical private sale price, $3K for a car like that, I'd come by and take a look.

Originally Posted By: levi

thumbsup2.gif

This sounds like all it needed was to remove the radiator cap, slip a new car under the cap and tighten the cap. Voila! Good running car.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

And how much was this soon to be good running car?

98 Taurus, $400. Pics looked good from what I could tell.

Actually, his price for scrap is pretty close in this area.

Tax refund time is always a tough time to find a good buy on an older used vehicle, javacontour. Everyone out there is fishing for a big catch right now.

I guess I didn't think of that since I'm fixing to write a five figure check to the IRS.

I could buy a really nice beater for what they are going to get this year from our family.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I guess I didn't think of that since I'm fixing to write a five figure check to the IRS.

I could buy a really nice beater for what they are going to get this year from our family.

YEEOOUCH!

That hurts, bro.

15.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I love wheel barons. The guy also mentioned "break pads".

It's Barrens with an "E" ya big dummmy
crackmeup2.gif

It's always nice when people spell with an accent. Makes it easy to know what to espect when you axe a queshun

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

crackmeup2.gif

It's always nice when people spell with an accent. Makes it easy to know what to espect when you axe a queshun

Just another day here on the "redneck riviera".
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

crackmeup2.gif

Can't blame them, at least they try.

Seriously, it all depends on how much they ask for. For $400 and a good non rusted body, it is a good car when you get everything fixed. Heck, even a door worth $50 at the junk yard.

Last edited:
Better Idea: fill a swimming pool with 20,000 gallons of Marvel Mystery Oil, dip car in it for one hour, remove car, air dry for a week and start the engine. lolllllllllllllllllll

I know what you mean. I read them often but really have no intention of buying anything. I already have a good car.

This here is for a 1989 Nissan Pulsar with 244,000 miles for $1000. Sounded OK until I read it and saw that it needs a new tranny!

'89 Pulsar

Originally Posted By: Lurch
I know what you mean. I read them often but really have no intention of buying anything. I already have a good car.

This here is for a 1989 Nissan Pulsar with 244,000 miles for $1000. Sounded OK until I read it and saw that it needs a new tranny!

'89 Pulsar

Pics, decent grammar, and those super bright fog lights will help sell this guy's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back