Circa 1985 QS 10-40 in V6 GrandAm 3,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
This is quite possibly the best thread on BITOG ever. Thank you for doing this! It's awesome!

I doubt that, but thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: Artem
How is the oil still good being over 25 years old... or am i reading this wrong?
He must have gone back and got it with the DeLorean!!

lol, that's funny right there!

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
This is quite possibly the best thread on BITOG ever. Thank you for doing this! It's awesome!

x2! Thanks for posting this - very interesting results!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: Artem
How is the oil still good being over 25 years old... or am i reading this wrong?
He must have gone back and got it with the DeLorean!!

Would've been interesting to see that oil run in the DeLorean for 3k OCI
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
10-40 was a pretty harsh spread back then too wasn't it?

Some virgin 10w-30 would be nice to have.

Originally Posted By: rclint
I don't comment in this section much, however I must do so here. It looks like there is nothing new under the sun in engine oils, only different ways to get there.. Copper by the way has outstanding lubrication properties.. I use copper based anti seize in place of grease/oil in some applications, and it outperforms expensive, top end stuff either grease, or oil most of the time.

rclint, what kind of oil do you use in your passenger cars?

Originally Posted By: webfors
Excellent report! 25 year old oil.. there's your answer for shelf life on oils!

+1 So much for the latest and greatest in new oil technology. Nice report!

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Bringing it back 🤟

Did you use up your last 6 quarts yet?
;^)

The low Ca/high Mg formulation caught my eye, that plus the high ZDDP might make this a good anti-LSPI oil...

Yeah I used it all up! I even found someone to buy all my cases of older oil in cardboard cans. The wifes car still runs great 👍.

This is certainly one of the most unique UOAs posted on BITOG and a good one at that.

Im not surprised at your results but do keep in mind just a limited amount of compounds are tested.

Just some thoughts ... =
We do not know if any degradation and if any break down of the oil took place or components separated and we do not know if this oil was run for 7000 miles and changed again with similar year oil if sludge would start to form in the engine.
More or less it survived in your engine well according to the VERY limited test but we would never know if anything more was going on.

Been off the forum for a while, just reminiscing when I was more active on here. Certain things perk an interest in me ie not your everyday UOA etc. nice to step out of the norm and not be so predictable. Makes life interesting.

A great UOA thread...being willing to take 'collectible' oil, and run it like everyday stuff so we can see what it does...priceless.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back