Chrysler 300 Daily Driver - Work Car Reliable?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on personal experience, I am not a Chrysler fan.
However, if I had to pick one to own, it would be the 300/Charger.
My in-laws have had several, liked them all, and have had good luck with them.
However, they don't really keep a car all that long.
They just sold their '14 300S out of my front yard Saturday afternoon.
The reason for the sale was that the 300 did not have a heated steering wheel on it that the '12 Cadillac she drove previously had.
The back story is that she has had a case of the red rump since FIL sold the Cadillac out from under her.
She is now driving a '15 Lincoln and both like it allegedly.
I'd stick with the Vic, GM, or Lincoln.

Crown vic or grand marquis is the way to go. Drive a little n get one for less than 5k bucks n less than 70k miles.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The LX cars are pretty good, I am in no way shape or form a Chrysler fan!!!!

Why the LX Chysler 300 ? Is that the one with the Pentastar V6 ?

I was speaking of the R/T & SRT-8 versions.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The LX cars are pretty good, I am in no way shape or form a Chrysler fan!!!!

Why the LX Chysler 300 ? Is that the one with the Pentastar V6 ?

The whole family is generally referred to as the "LX cars" as that's the name of the platform, however there is a bit of differentiation with respect to the Challenger:
LX = 300/Charger/Magnum
LC = Challenger (up to 2014)
LA = Challenger (2015+)

The front end problems should be researched. Pretty common failure point. I do think the overall negative image of chryslers is overblown. We had a 2002 stratus 2.7 V6. Sold at 170k running great. Spent less than $500.00 on repairs. Probably our most reliable car.

All the anecdotal evidence deserves another story.

I've had my 300 since August of 05. Absolutely near zero repair history. An alternator. That's it for real repairs needed!

One battery, several sets of tires, brake pads. The car has over 200 dragstrip passes and dozens of road course track days all over the country. I stuck a high stall converter in it and refreshed the transmission, now it's about 2 tenths quicker than my sig.

Just now replacing some rubber parts (sway bar bushings, minor stuff) and another set of tires (new PSS4's!) at 108k miles. NEVER any front end repairs, no alignments needed either. Wears all 4 tires evenly, let that sink in a minute. I suspect there are many others like me who love their SRT.

In my world it's by far the best car ever to sit in my garage, still runs competitively with cars that cost much more...

As an owner of Grand Marquis and Crown vics they are boring dated cars.

Had a 08 Loaded Marquis and someone paid me top dollar for it.

There is no tech options, and honestly the leather bench seating offers little comfort and lots of back pain. There are no bolsters in the seat, and it caused the muscles in my back to ache. Even on long trips, I did not find the seats comfortable, it felt like a spring in a couch.

Mine would get 15mpg in mixed driving and was tuned up and had 273 gears I believe. The 4 speed auto and the 4.6L v8 ran perfectly and will run forever but was not a fuel sipper.

We have some Charger police cars, and they have not lasted the test of time. At 75k miles they have gone to the government auction block with Motor issues, and other problems, and just generally worn out. We had a lot of equipment in them, but they felt like rattle traps generally.

I like the 300 and believe it would be a good civilian vehicle, but typically the used market for these things is saturated with whipped cars that someone tried to "pimp out" with large wheels and other nonsense.

I also believe you could be targeted by law enforcement for driving such a vehicle. My grand marquis had blacked out tint, and chrome factory hub caps, and I was stopped for no reason SEVERAL times. Another reason I got rid of the car.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
As an owner of Grand Marquis and Crown vics they are boring dated cars.

Had a 08 Loaded Marquis and someone paid me top dollar for it.

There is no tech options, and honestly the leather bench seating offers little comfort and lots of back pain. There are no bolsters in the seat, and it caused the muscles in my back to ache. Even on long trips, I did not find the seats comfortable, it felt like a spring in a couch.

Mine would get 15mpg in mixed driving and was tuned up and had 273 gears I believe. The 4 speed auto and the 4.6L v8 ran perfectly and will run forever but was not a fuel sipper.

We have some Charger police cars, and they have not lasted the test of time. At 75k miles they have gone to the government auction block with Motor issues, and other problems, and just generally worn out. We had a lot of equipment in them, but they felt like rattle traps generally.

I like the 300 and believe it would be a good civilian vehicle, but typically the used market for these things is saturated with whipped cars that someone tried to "pimp out" with large wheels and other nonsense.

I also believe you could be targeted by law enforcement for driving such a vehicle. My grand marquis had blacked out tint, and chrome factory hub caps, and I was stopped for no reason SEVERAL times. Another reason I got rid of the car.

I would not mind a boring and dated vehicle if it did not give me any issues. The Ford 4.6 is the one of the best engines out there.

I had a 06 Crown Vic for 11 years and 300K miles. Only major thing done to it was some a/c work for 400 bucks. Sold it to a hard working 18 year old last year who still owns it.

On long trips my back did hurt a bit after a couple of hours. I prefer my Tahoe much better for long trips.

With very dark tint you will get stopped by Leos in any vehicle. I had 18% all around on mine. Even in Miami you will be stopped with really dark tint.

You will never find such a low maintenance vehicle like a Crown Vic,Grand Marquis or Town Car ever again. The Crown Vic I had got 24-25 MPG out on the highway and around 15-16 MPG locally. All with the a/c on. My 5.3 Tahoe gets the exact same thing. All on 87 regular fuel.

All that IMHO. To each their own.

One reason I bought a P71 Vic was the seats: I also don't like the bench. Mile has power buckets with lumbar, which is a big improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back