Christmas spending question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: old1
All our kids and even the grandkids are grown, so we just give money to all of them. Our son and daughter get BIG checks, since we are starting to parcel out some of their inheritance . lol.

Would you consider adopting an old bored guy for Christmas?.....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I try to give a month's salary to charities then buy some toys for poor kids that get dropped off at the Police Station.
But this year She wanted a meat grinder attachment for her mixer.

... Should I be afraid?

Wow that's awesome.
thumbsup2.gif
As for your wife, make sure the will is in order.
lol.gif

I will probably spend a little more on family this Xmas as my daughter wants a new game system and I am amenable to buying one for her. I will likely have to fight with my wife over this as she generally thinks the cost of the wrapping paper given is too much to spend, much less the present inside. This is a battle every Xmas and birthday and I am already dreading the energy that will be spent on this, I would guess she is trying to get me to die early so she can do what she wants with my money.

My previous job had a Salvation Army gift tree at work and I used to spend quite a bit on that, usually would do 5-6 stars per Xmas. Would mix it up with the younger kids asking mostly for toys and teens usually asking for clothes that fit. One year I was pretty upset because a small child had asked for a specific toy that didn't seem to be made anymore, would guess they played with one at daycare and wanted one for home...I bought the closest thing I could find and included a small note explaining my difficulty in finding the toy that was requested. I just realized that my charitable giving was pretty low last Xmas without a tree at the new job and I should probably find another way to help those who are less fortunate.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I try to give a month's salary to charities then buy some toys for poor kids that get dropped off at the Police Station.
But this year She wanted a meat grinder attachment for her mixer.

... Should I be afraid?

Wow that's awesome.
thumbsup2.gif
As for your wife, make sure the will is in order.
lol.gif

Was any garlic and spices bought?
If Yes, I will stay away from the frying pan (Something about womens, kitchens and final product not looking perfect)
If No, I will will. Make sure not to use too much salt :p

It's a shame the meaning of Christmas has come down to making corporations rich and spending all your money. I keep hearing this commercial on the radio saying "Come apply for a loan here so you can have plenty of money to do your Christmas shopping!!". That's just so gross!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It's a shame the meaning of Christmas has come down to making corporations rich and spending all your money. I keep hearing this commercial on the radio saying "Come apply for a loan here so you can have plenty of money to do your Christmas shopping!!". That's just so gross!

Wow they aren't even hiding their disgusting actions any longer. That's just low...
frown.gif

Last edited:
I give the kids money at Christmas and birthdays. They prefer that. For other family members I told them years ago that they could expect occasional, unexpected gifts if I came across something that I really thought they would like or that they needed. I also do that with the kids. (i.e. my son and daughter both like pocket knives so they occasionally find one in their mailboxes). I want them to know that I think of them often and don't buy into the requirement of jumping on the holiday spending bandwagon. Overall, it works. I would NEVER go into debt to purchase a gift, period. That is not selfish. That is self-preservation.

Don't know what i spent last year at least as a total. Haven' thought about how much this year. We generally spend a fixed amount for each person, but i have never added it up. We don't carry balances on credit cards.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Adults get nothing
Kids get a present

X2, although the wife and i bought a new 2017 Buick Regal GS, this was our present to ourselves, momma was tired of driving a soccer mon SUV.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back