Chevy volt is 10,000$ over priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: StevieC

... where do you think we are going to store all this nuclear waste if we switch to it for our main source of energy for everything we do?

Next!

Canada gets my vote.

Next!

OK with me, but it would not be Free of Charge
grin2.gif

My pproblem with the volt is that as an everyday "vehicle" it does not seem to offer anything different or even practical. Just because it is electric does not make it a good vehicle. As others have said, the technology is not really ready for mainstream use. I expect the the following will happen to make electical vehicles more practical.

Battery technology will improve greatly; light, more powerful, smaller with quick recharge times. This will affect all battery usage including your home

Solar cell technology will improve enough to recharge batteries as we drive/park as well as drive accessories. This will make a huge difference in the way we view electric vehicles. This will improve battery technology may mean we can full our homes partialy off the grid.

I commute to work every day about 30 miles each way. IMO, the Volt does not yet mmet my needs. This means i would need to recharge every night and make part of my commute on gasoline. Perhaps ok, pehaps not.

Originally Posted By: Rickey
No but in most states in the US you are burning far dirtier coal which has a lot more side-effects. Or creating lots of nuclear waste which hasn't had a safe effective way of dealing with it yet other than burying it or storing it under "heavy water"

Your call...
wink.gif

Easy call:

Since the electric is so much more efficient, and taking into account that hydro is clean power, coal plants are relatively clean now with new tech "scrubbers", and nuclear waste is being safely stored (there is a half life etc.). The electric automobile will now result in far less pollution than a hydrocarbon vehicle ever will.

Next.....

Rickey

Great but how many are using these "scrubbers". The half-life on this nuclear waste is a very long time and considering we are running out of landfill space where do you think we are going to store all this nuclear waste if we switch to it for our main source of energy for everything we do?

Next!

StevieC - I am reading Ted Nugents book "Ted, white and Blue" where he says that thanks to Jimmy Carter - thats why we are storing all this Nuclear Waste. Apparantly nuclear waste can be recycled and used again but our past President banned that. He goes on to say that if we recycled all the current waste stored we would free up almost all the space now being used to store nuclear waste. Now - if all that being said is true then I wonder why our country cannot figure that out??

Last edited:
"Where do you drive that you only go 40 miles?"

To and from work each weekday. 34 mile round trip.
Most city dwellers will fall under this definition.

And the gravy is that I might never have to burn a single drop of gasoline doing it.

Name me another vehicle for any price (Tesla?) that can run 40 miles on electricity each day and not burn a single drop of gas?
SSC is reportedly working on a similar technology.

This is revolutionary. The internal combustion engine is nearing the end of it's long product cycle folks.
Get on or get out of the way.

Rickey.

The concept of electric vehicles is good. However, there is NOTHING out there that is good enough to make me spend my hard earned money to jump on the band wagon. Way to early for mainstream. Only good for specific niche users.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

StevieC - I am reading Ted Nugents book "Ted, white and Blue" where he says that thanks to Jimmy Carter - thats why we are storing all this Nuclear Waste. Apparantly nuclear waste can be recycled and used again but our past President banned that. He goes on to say that if we recycled all the current waste stored we would free up almost all the space now being used to store nuclear waste. Now - if all that being said is true then I wonder why our country cannot figure that out??

Interesting... I will have to check this out... Thanks!

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I just wish the Volt would sell on its own merits. I don't like funding the project, with change out of my pocket.

This is the whole problem with the volt it is not market driven and the customer does not want it besides a hand full of lefty tree huggers and a CEO of GM that is a failure along with the volt.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I just wish the Volt would sell on its own merits. I don't like funding the project, with change out of my pocket.

This is the whole problem with the volt it is not market driven and the customer does not want it besides a hand full of lefty tree huggers and a CEO of GM that is a failure along with the volt.

What????, things aren't rosy at GM?, things aren't being market driven now?, The CEO isn't providing clear concise direction for the companies success? Is the marketing department lying to us like in the past?

Wow sounds like a "turned around" company to me.
smirk2.gif

What % do you think the volt markets to for it's GM custommer I say less than 1% and never be higher that is a failed strategy. The CEO is prviding a clear direction for GM that is Failure such as any thing he has done and the public does not want.

Dave, why all the negativity?

Let's think about this for a moment please.
Was "the market" demanding affordable personal computers 35 years ago? Did you just use a PC to post your message?
I suspect that if I am still around in 10 years; I will be driving an electric car and liking it. And I am definitely not a "lefty tree hugger".

Now a general question for the Volt haters/bashers out there:

If a company other than GM introduced this innovative technology would you still be anti-Volt?
Please be honest,at least with your self.
55.gif

Rickey.

My money being used to bail out Failed companies should not be used for more failed projects.

If any other company invests in any prodjects and makes it or it does not that is the free market. If they don't make it sould not become a public subsidy.

My money being used to bail out Failed companies should not be used for more failed projects.

If any other company invests in any prodjects and makes it or it does not that is the free market. If they don't make it sould not become a public subsidy.

So is it really GM that you are after here?
What if the Volt is a massive success and rescues GM?
No one has a crystal ball.

The fact is sir that GM was rescued with our tax dollars like it or not.
I hope that they are successful so we can get our tax dollars back. Agree?
55.gif

Rickey.

So is it really GM that you are after here?
What if the Volt is a massive success and rescues GM?
No one has a crystal ball.

The fact is sir that GM was rescued with our tax dollars like it or not.
I hope that they are successful so we can get our tax dollars back. Agree?
55.gif

Rickey.

NO I do not agree it sets bad precedence and the separation between goverment and free market.....................

"NO I do not agree it sets bad precedence and the separation between goverment and free market....................."

Skating toward politics here.... and
32.gif
a little:

I tend to agree on the separation of govt and private business, to a point that is.

Where would we be now economically without all of the bail outs?
Where will we be in 20 years when the bill comes due?
Hard questions to answer.

Either way I hope to see GM and other domestic businesses prosper for the good of our grandchildren Etc.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it.

Rickey.

If you think the "volt" is not political your nut's
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Also it's because this generation doesn't deal with change very well that they need to keep propping up stupidity that these corporations are pulling for the sake of their grandchildren and it's this that is actually making it worse for their grandchildren.

We all need to look at the big picture. If we hand out cash willingly and prop up corporations that were stupid they will never learn and history will repeat itself and still cost the next generation dearly for the mistake of the previous generation.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Pretty close to the mark.

If you were to reprocess the "waste" (which shouldn't be waste), you'd reduce the amount considerably, and extend the range of fuels.

That's why India is working on thorium breeder reactors. Rather than having "waste" at the end of the run, they have more "fuel" than they started with.

If we hand out cash willingly and prop up corporations that were stupid they will never learn and history will repeat itself and still cost the next generation dearly for the mistake of the previous generation.

32.gif

So correct and well said... Too bad we can not figure this out...
33.gif

Your folks will eventually... You might not be around for it and the next generation which seems to be stupid already probably won't be the ones but some generation will.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back