Checked out a 2019 Ford Ranger, Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by daves87rs
Ford (and GM) forgot what these trucks were for- Affordable trucks to get you hooked to be the bigger model down the road. These trucks weren't as fancy, but they were affordable. Heck, after my s10 I was looking at a Silverado.....

Nothing wrong with having a few higher priced models, but they need some affordable models to get people into their truck family.....

Ding ding ding. You hit it, Dave.

The Ranger and Canyonado are just not different enough in size compared to the full ride offerings. Courier, LUV, Toyota, Dodge 50, Datsun and even Mitsubishi trucks of the 70s: small trucks.Even Ranger and S-10 from the 80s: perfect size. Not sort of smaller trucks. Like the "intermediates" of the 70s : couple of inches and a couple of hundred pounds less than the big fat ridiculous full size sedans.

I can't imagine daily driving a current year F-150 or similar monster. At least they'll hold a lot of debt in those 12 ft beds.

Last edited:
Friend bought black 2.2 auto Ranger Limited month ago. Decent power, slow shifting but acceptable, decent space, and off road capabilities. IMO it is great truck for Europe and our conditions - narrow B roads, small parking space and general preference over here.

In NA it makes little sense.

Aussie Rangers (made in Thailand) are most popular in the high spec level versions selling about 35 thousand units a year in a country with the population of Florida. The Toyota HiLux (Tacoma in the USA) sells in about the same numbers so 'utes' (short for utility) are bloody popular here.

My '17 4wd Ranger dual cab has a 3.2L 5 cylinder turbo diesel (purloined from the Landrover TD5 Disco when ford owned Landrover) with the 6 speed auto from the Mustang (I think)) A very popular engine/trans combination here. All the popular HiLux's are 2.8L turbo diesels as well - no choice - toyota dropped the 4L petrol 2GR-FE powered option a month before I ordered my Ranger that replaced my '04 5VZ-FE powered 4wd HiLux (Tacoma).

Aussie (urban) roads aren't set up for 'full size' utes, my mates Tundra really doesn't fit in parking areas, high density housing areas etc, and they are prohibitively expensive at 120 -130 thousand Aussie dollars after right hand drive conversion. F150's and Rams etc are all about the same. Guys that need something bigger than Ranger / Hilux / Mitsubishi Triton / VW Amorok (Honda don't do a ute in Aust) go to a proper light truck, Isuzu and Mitsubishi are popular here. These aren't suited to recreational use on the weekend though. (except maybe towing your boat / dirt bike trailer)

A coyote powered 10 speed auto Ranger......that'd be worth trading up to.

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ

I can't imagine daily driving a current year F-150 or similar monster. At least they'll hold a lot of debt in those 12 ft beds.

12 foot? You must be talking about width because finding a "standard" 8ft bed is getting harder and harder. The cabs keep getting bigger while the beds get smaller.

CAFE, soccer moms and country music have ruined trucks. Now they are just stupid looking 50's muscle cars with an open trunk. Want your truck with the leather package? Ridiculous! Used to be the only leather package you could get in a truck was a cow in the bed. Those of us who want trucks primarily as working vehicles are either priced or regulated out of the market

I dunno, the leather seats held up for >300k in my VW with no issues. Seen a lot of trucks with torn up cloth seats. Maybe it's a cost thing, maybe it's from abuse. But outside of hot days I do miss those seats, they didn't stain and they were easier to slide around the seat. I'm always worried about getting out of my truck and sliding on the seat, and wearing a hole.

Originally Posted by supton
I dunno, the leather seats held up for >300k in my VW with no issues. Seen a lot of trucks with torn up cloth seats. Maybe it's a cost thing, maybe it's from abuse. But outside of hot days I do miss those seats, they didn't stain and they were easier to slide around the seat. I'm always worried about getting out of my truck and sliding on the seat, and wearing a hole.

Leather is great, I don't even consider it being a luxury addition, more like a HD spec. My lifted Nissan with factory high seating position is a nightmare to get out without adding some wear on side seat cloth.

Originally Posted by chrisri

Leather is great, I don't even consider it being a luxury addition, more like a HD spec. My lifted Nissan with factory high seating position is a nightmare to get out without adding some wear on side seat cloth.

I like vinyl. It's almost like leather but a lot cheaper. Cloth gets stains and collects dog fur (German Shepherds) too bad for me. Vinyl gets cracks, though if you don't take care of it.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by chrisri

I like vinyl. It's almost like leather but a lot cheaper. Cloth gets stains and collects dog fur (German Shepherds) too bad for me. Vinyl gets cracks, though if you don't take care of it.
[Linked Image]

Vinyl is fine too, although a rare sight these days. I actually have part vinyl, part cloth (only small inner part of the seat) on my 2017 van and is great for sliding in and out and keeping it clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back