Checked out a 2019 Ford Ranger, Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
The while point of the Ranger in the US market is to attract people who don't want an expensive F-150 to the dealership and then sell them an F-150 for a few dollars more.

Outside the US it's a proper pickup truck.

It is not a "proper" pickup. It's slow, its payload is small, it has a cheap hard plastic interior, it's cramped when 4 adult males are in it.

Originally Posted by dave1251
The while point of the Ranger in the US market is to attract people who don't want an expensive F-150 to the dealership and then sell them an F-150 for a few dollars more.

It is not a "proper" pickup. It's slow, its payload is small, it has a cheap hard plastic interior, it's cramped when 4 adult males are in it.

It can crank out a sub 7 second 0-60, how much faster do you really need a pick up truck to be?

Originally Posted by dave1251

The Google tells you that the 2019 Ranger
  • Payload - 1560-1860 lbs (more than some 1/2 tons)
  • 0-60 is 6.9 secs
  • Will tow 7500 lbs comfortably

Seems like a good "proper" pickup. You must be referring to the Gladiator, the expensive POS.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's slow. C&D recently tested an XL SuperCab 2wd:

C/D
TEST RESULTS
Zero to 60 mph: 6.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 15.8 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 21.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.7 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.3 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.6 sec @ 96 mph

I really really really really wanted to like the new Ranger but I have been unimpressed. Unless you check off every box and get the double meat and cheese with bacon Lariat version, they look cheap. We are stocking the engine covers since only the Lariats come with them and for some reason everyone wants them. Also the non push button start ones have this random open ring space thing around the key cylinder that looks like something was missed when building. We emailed Ford for the customers and they said it was supposed to look like that.

Meanwhile, I found a local Ford dealer is blowing out full size F150's equipped as follows for $31 and 32K advertised price (MSRP 42K):

2019 F-150 4X4 SUPERCAB
145" WHEELBASE
2.7L V6 ECOBOOST I
ELEC 10-SPEED AUTO W/TOW MO

EQUIPMENT GROUP 101A 2,255.00
ŸXL SERIES
ŸXL POWER EQUIPMENT GROUP
ŸCRUISE CONTROL

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT/OTHER:

2.7L V6 ECOBOOST 995.00
3.55 ELECTRONIC LOCK RR AXLE 470.00
6500# GVWR PACKAGE
FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET NO CHARGE
BLACK PLATFORM RUNNING BOARDS 250.00
CLASS IV TRAILER HITCH 95.00
STX APPEARANCE PACKAGE 1,995.00
275/55R20 BSW ALL-TERRAIN
SYNC 3
REAR-WINDOW DEFROSTER
20" MACH-ALUM W/FLASH GRAY PK
MANUAL DRIVER LUMBAR
PRIVACY GLASS
XL SPORT APPEARANCE PACKAGE 775.00
FOG LAMPS
STX SPORT CLOTH 40/CON/40 295.00

Who in the world would pay $35k for a Ranger when this ^^^ is out there?

Originally Posted by HangFire
I thought I spotted a new Ranger on the road today, but it turned out to be an Explorer Sport Trac Adrenaline.

I would buy one of the later models of those. Bring back the 4.0 V6

On another note-saw a Honda Ridgeline fully loaded model sitting in front of CostCo advertising their auto program.

It was $43,000.00

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Ford (and GM) forgot what these trucks were for- Affordable trucks to get you hooked to be the bigger model down the road. These trucks weren't as fancy, but they were affordable. Heck, after my s10 I was looking at a Silverado.....

Nothing wrong with having a few higher priced models, but they need some affordable models to get people into their truck family.....

The consumers tastes shifting played just as much into the demise of the cheap small/mid size truck market as the manufacturers turning to high profit margin and optioned trucks. I am sure for every one person here wanting the days of a cheap 2WD stick regular cab small truck, there is 9 more who would never be in the market for one.

Last two years of the previous gen Ranger sales were in the dumps before they stopped in 2011. Only sustained by fleet sales by and large for the most part.

Originally Posted by CKN
On another note-saw a Honda Ridgeline fully loaded model sitting in front of CostCo advertising their auto program.

It was $43,000.00

it's all absurd malarkey....fomoco msrp on a 42k truck they probably have maybe 20k into it....

Originally Posted by earthbound

it's all absurd malarkey....fomoco msrp on a 42k truck they probably have maybe 20k into it....

Perhaps the factory has 20K in it to build and finish it, but I'd suspect the dealership has more than that committed to it by a long shot.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Ford (and GM) forgot what these trucks were for- Affordable trucks to get you hooked to be the bigger model down the road. These trucks weren't as fancy, but they were affordable. Heck, after my s10 I was looking at a Silverado.....

Nothing wrong with having a few higher priced models, but they need some affordable models to get people into their truck family.....

Well said.

Yes I test drove the Ridgeline twice. Great ride quality, nice low step in and low bed. Great for old dudes like me. But of course the dealer low balled my trade so I walked out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by earthbound

Perhaps the factory has 20K in it to build and finish it, but I'd suspect the dealership has more than that committed to it by a long shot.

yes..I did say fomoco…...suv/trucks are definitely the back bone support...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back