Check air filter seal closely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I checked my original air filter ('02 Cavalier with about 16,000 miles on it) and it was pretty dusty so I decided to change it. Could barely see the sunlight through it.
Noticed that Purolator, Fram and STP didn't seal around the air box properly. All three were just a little too narrow, and would allow unfiltered air into the engine. Had to go to the dealer and get the AC Delco (made in Mexico
mad.gif
) for the correct fit.
Just a reminder for you all to check carefully that your air filter seals well around the box.
cheers.gif

very true, before i put a filter in i test it for its sealing capability.

the baldwin i had was too small and let in ALOT OF dirt as well...if u refer to my post in this forum about the baldwin filter update.

i changed it to a purolator and got rid of the crappy baldwin and im good, sealing is nice and snugg...

safety precaution i put more silicone to further help the seal

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:

Just a reminder for you all to check carefully that your air filter seals well around the box.
cheers.gif

That's good advice. And not just to check the element.

I found the air cleaner box to be a bit potatoe chip shaped on my 96 Corvette. Turns out it's a common problem. One good fix is to add a 1/4 inch thick layer of self stick weatherstripping to the mating surface in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back